TWO ON ONE - Junior midfielder Luis Martinez (No. 99) looks to dribble around his opponent while senior midfielder Anthony Moy (No. 9) waits to receive the potential pass.

Men's soccer falls to UVA, 4-2

Freshman Jack Scott's pair of goals were not enough to prevent the AU men's soccer team from losing 4-2 to the University of Virginia Tuesday night. The loss snaps the Eagles' three-game winning streak and drops the team's record on the season to 7-6-2 overall.

The Eagles had the first scoring chance of the game eight minutes into the first half of play, as junior midfielder Colin Zizzi's pass found teammate sophomore midfielder Mike Worden inside the box, but his shot went wide left of the target.

The Cavaliers got on the scoreboard first in the 6th minute, as freshman forward Brian Ownby put a cross to junior forward Matt Mitchell who buried it home past freshman goalkeeper Matt Makowski for a 1-0 Virginia lead.

Ownby scored a goal of his own in the 32nd minute, receiving a pass from junior midfielder Jonathan Villanueva to double UVA's lead to 2-0 at halftime.

Similar to Ownby, Villanueva scored his first goal of the match following his previous assist two minutes into the second half, collecting a pass from junior midfielder Neil Barlow to put the Cavaliers up by the score of 3-0.

AU was able to cut into the lead in the 62nd minute, when Worden was able to feed a ball to Scott, who put it in the back of the net to narrow the deficit to 3-1.

The momentum would be short-lived, as the Cavaliers took the kick-off and seconds later went right after new Eagles' junior goalkeeper Ryan Leonard with Villanueva's second goal of the match to make it 4-1 in favor of UVA.

The Eagles got one final tally from Scott in the 69th minute, his second goal of the match, to cut the lead to 4-2 but this would hold up as the final score.

The Eagles' non-conference schedule is over, so the team will now focus on their final three games of the Patriot League campaign, starting with a visit to Colgate University at 7:30 p.m. Saturday night.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.