Flu shot season begins

Turnout for vaccine at AU high

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending flu vaccinations for a record number of people this season, and the AU Student Health Center has seen a high demand for the shots.

Flu shot season officially began Sept. 24, according to FOX 5's Web site. Between 143 million and 146 million doses of the vaccine will be available in the U.S. - more than the CDC has ever ordered for manufacture before. While college students are not among the high-risk groups the CDC's Web site specifically recommends get vaccinated, many students have taken advantage of the vaccines available at the Student Health Center.

The center began vaccinating students and staff Oct. 6, and the supply is already running low, according to Barry Clark, a physician at the center.

"Right now, the initial turnout has been great," he said. "We'll have to get more [vaccines]."

The center originally received 600 doses of the vaccine, but will order more if there is sufficient demand, said Edythe Cook, patient services manager. She said the center administered 600 doses last year.

Catherine Dokurno, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she would get a vaccine from the center.

"I do not plan on getting sick in college," she said.

The flu vaccine only protects against certain strains of the influenza virus, and these strains vary each year. A U.S. Food and Drug Administration committee met in February to predict which strains would be most prevalent this season, according to the Food and Drug Administration's Web site.

While a surprise virus strain last season caused an increase in flu cases, the CDC claims the current vaccine should provide enough protection. The CDC has conducted studies of parts of the world in which the virus is already circulating and found that this season's vaccine is a good match, according to FOX 5.

Clark said very few of the flu patients he saw at the center last year had gotten the vaccine.

"No matter what, [the vaccine is] better than nothing," he said.

CVS and most major grocery store chains administer flu vaccines as well. However, the center charges $20, while CVS charges $30. The center does not charge to make a profit, Clark said.

AU's student health insurance plan does not cover flu shots, Cook said.

Anna Abrams, a student in AU's Postbaccalaureate Premedical Certificate program, said she paid roughly $45 for a flu shot at home in Cleveland. While Abrams appreciates the convenience and low cost of center's vaccines, she does not think many AU students will bother to get vaccinated.

Carlos Illingworth, a junior in the Kogod School of Business, said he does not think he will get sick this flu season.

"I don't need [a vaccine]," he said.

Vaccinations are especially important this year because the increase in tripled dorm rooms on campus forces students to be in closer contact, Clark said. This close contact allows germs to spread easily. In addition, the flu always spreads quickly across campus because students will go to class even if they are sick.

The Student Health Center offers flu vaccines to all students and staff in the Wellness Center, located on the first floor of McCabe Hall. A student can make an appointment by e-mailing Cook at edythe@american.edu.

You can reach this staff writer at mkendall@theeagleonline.com.