LIVING LIFE - Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Hudson (right) are among the all-star cast of "The Secret Life of Bees." The film, also starring Queen Latifah (below) and Alicia Keys, details the life of runaway Lily Owens (Fanning) as she is taken in by trio o

Fanning, Okonedo keep film real

'Life of Bees' tackles tough topics well

The normal checklist for a trip to the movies includes popcorn and soda. However, if you're planning to see "The Secret Life of Bees," replace those refreshments with several boxes of tissues.

Based on Sue Monk Kidd's best-selling novel, "Bees" is about Lily Owens, a young girl who runs away from her bad home life in 1964 and finds herself in the shelter of three black sisters. Raised by her abusive father after her mother was killed in an unfortunate incident while she was still young, Lily is plagued with guilt and curiosity about her mother's life. Lily, as well as her black caretaker Rosaleen, soon run away and find themselves in the depths of racist South Carolina under the shelter of the Boatwright sisters, three black women who own and operate a bee farm that sells honey. With the help of the Boatwright sisters, Lily hopes to discover more about her life and the mystery that surrounds her mother.

In an Oscar-worthy performance, Dakota Fanning is certainly the star of the film as 14-year-old Lily Owens. Fanning perfects the vulnerability and na'veté of Lily without breaching into the cheesy, overacted territory. It is Fanning's nuanced performance that carries the film. The chemistry of the cast is apparent the moment the movie starts. When introduced to the illustrious Boatwright sisters, the audience cannot help but feel as though they are taken under their wing as well.

Queen Latifah plays August, the eldest of the Boatwright brood. Latifah's portrayal of August is genuine, depicting her as wise and maternal without making her seem like a know-it-all in the process.

Alicia Keys and Sophie Okonedo play the other Boatwright sisters, June and May. Keys' portrayal of the demanding but vulnerable June, notably different from her previous roles, is well done and surprisingly so. However, it is Okonedo's depiction of May that carries much of the heartbreak of the film. Okonedo's role is decidedly more difficult because of the line the character walks between mental instability and extreme sensitivity to perfection. Her portrayal is striking and genuine, driving the emotions of the audience every which way.

Despite the film's terrific ensemble cast, it is certain that much of the viewing audience will critique this movie more than others because of its popularity as a best-selling novel. However, the film mostly stays loyal to its source material. This is due in large part to the work of Gina Prince-Bythewood, who was both the film's director and writer of the adapted screenplay.

Prince-Bythewood's vision for the film is beautiful and true to form. She manages to portray the prevalent racist issues of the area and time period without making it seem preachy or over-the-top. Scenes that could have easily crossed over into a cheesy moment under other directors maintain a sweet, touching undertone under the watchful eye of Prince-Bythewood.

Though certainly ripe with funny and uplifting moments, "The Secret Life of Bees" is at its heart a coming-of-age drama. Emotional moments pepper the film, which leaves the audience mentally drained at its conclusion. Given the material, it is imperative that a film like this focuses on subtleties and the rawness of human emotion in order to convey authenticity rather than opulence and melodrama. Through the work of the director and the fantastic cast, this film does just that.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.