Eagles stun Hoyas

Senior midfielder Phil Purdy connected on a penalty kick in the 68th minute, giving the AU men's soccer team the momentum in a 4-1 comeback victory over Georgetown University on Reeves Field Tuesday.

AU played its most complete game of the season, beating a Georgetown team that has bounced in and out of the top 25 national rankings this season. Before Purdy scored, the Eagles only had one shot on goal and trailed the Hoyas by one point.

The penalty shot was issued after three yellow cards were given to Georgetown's junior defender Mark Zeman, freshman goaltender Erik Garciamendez, and junior defender Len Coleman, for first interfering with AU junior defender Cameron Petty score attempt, then arguing the call with the referees. Eight total yellow cards were issued in the game.

"It's always a derby between us," said Georgetown head coach Brian Wiese. "It doesn't matter if we're 0-10 and they're 10-0, it always a derby."

Just a minute after AU tied the score, a controversial red card was issued to Georgetown's senior midfielder Hunter Joslin after an aggressive tackle of AU's freshman defender Alex Tillati, forcing the Hoyas to play a man down for the rest of the game. Joslin had subbed into the game only ten seconds before the red card.

"Soccer is a game of momentum and swings, and that play had a major impact on the game," Wiese said. Joslin had come into the game over-excited, and the tackle was definitely a foul, just not one worthy of a red card, Wiese said.

AU head coach Todd West said the referees were aggressive when calling fouls.

"The best refs are the ones you don't notice," he said.

With Georgetown a man down, senior midfielder Anthony Moy took full advantage, scoring the game-winning goal in the 75th minute. Senior defender Tremaine Chinapoo initiated the play when he flicked a touch pass down the right side of the field to sophomore midfielder Jamie Davin, who crossed the ball to a streaking Moy for a mid-air header.

"I just saw Jamie get a ball on the right sideline, and I saw him whip it down, and I put myself in position," Moy said. "This is a big win, anytime you win a game against Georgetown, who is one of the best."

AU added its first of two insurance goals ten minutes later when junior midfielder Luis Martinez sent a long pass to junior defender Don Yasur, who received the ball and sent it ahead to freshman forward Jack Scott, who scored his first goal of the season in the 84th minute.

Scott returned the favor to Martinez four minutes later when he drew Georgetown sophomore goaltender Mark Wilber out of position and cut down the touchline, hitting a wide-open Martinez for a goal.

Georgetown's lone goal came in the 54th minute when sophomore midfielder Seth C'deBaca sent a long pass over the head of the AU defense and connected with junior midfielder Scott Larrabee who was one-on-one with AU freshman goalkeeper Matt Makowski. Makowski got a hand on the Larrabee shot but couldn't keep it from going in. The GK had nine saves on the day.

The loss was disappointing for the Hoyas, especially since it came against a cross-town rival. But Wiese said he knows the biggest focus for his team is conference play.

"We have to very quickly put it behind us and think of the things we can control now," he said.

Conference play is also on the horizon for AU. Five of AU's final six games are against Patriot League opponents - games that West called "conference wars."

The Eagles' next match is Saturday at 7 p.m. at Lehigh University.

You can reach this staff writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.