Dates to please both jokesters, romantics

A friend of mine was trying to advise me on all of those unwritten rules of dating - how people, even though they complain like hell about it, love the chase. Or even how a small thing like a text message at the wrong time could be a disaster. I was thinking about this and wondered, what fostered these ludicrous rules?

Is it the media, with shows and movies portraying over-analytical characters plotting and scheming their next moves? Or is it some natural instinct of ours to be so curious to stalk our prospective mate for hours on Facebook?

Listen, all I'm saying is I know there are a ton of different ways to handle a situation, and a lot of different personalities out there. As I've stressed before, you shouldn't be afraid to be yourself and be honest.

So if you're spending your nights checking the guest list for an event on Facebook wondering if THAT person will be there ... who cares! Just be confident and sexy no matter what. If it helps, think "What would Jay-Z do?" He'd say "I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one." And maybe someone else, someone even better will notice your ballin' style.

So, how's this for a segue: this week I am going to cater to those different styles and scenarios that fit the type of date you're trying to create. Show someone your intellectual side! Show that you're hilarious! Thus, this week there are two options: romantic, thought provoking and delectable; or luscious, plush and hysterical.

Date #1

At the Corcoran there is an exhibit called "Richard Avedon: Portraits of Power." Since we go to AU, there is an overarching aspiration to change the world. So I would find it hard to believe that someone here wouldn't enjoy this spectacular exhibit, even if you aren't into art.

Avedon, a portraitist and fashion photographer, photographed many prominent figures from five decades, including three of my favorites - Bob Dylan, the Chicago Seven and Marian Anderson.

The cost of admission to the exhibit is $10 per person. Afterwards, take a nice stroll down Connecticut Avenue or take the Metro over to Dupont Circle and hit up Tangysweet, a frozen yogurt paradise.

Tangysweet is like Pinkberry for all of you New York/Los Angeles folks. For everyone else, it is three different flavors of frozen yogurt and you can choose different toppings such as fruits, cereals or my favorite - mochi or small rice balls. Get a well-dressed small for you ($4.95 each) and your total date cost is $29.90!

Date #2

Break out of your Bethesda-to-Chinatown red line Metro bubble and go a little further to downtown Silver Spring, Md. It has so much to offer with entertainment, shopping and tons of restaurants. When you get to Silver Spring, hit up CakeLove, a tiny little bakery that has locations across the D.C. area. Get yourself and your sweetie a luscious treat ($3.25 per cupcake) to bring to the movies.

One of my absolute favorite movie theaters is the American Film Institute's Silver Theatre. They have amazing film festivals and show some of the most note-worthy films. This week is their D.C. Labor Film Festival. On Friday and Saturday, "Office Space" is showing, along with a red stapler raffle! Now relax in your plush velvet seats and enjoy your luscious treat while you laugh hysterically and secretly eye Jennifer Aniston.

Movie tickets are $10 each. Add that to your cupcakes, and your grand total is $26.50.

Go out and explore each other!

I, Mia Libido, confess that I am looking for some good date ideas. If you've taken your honey out somewhere special, let me know about it! Keep splurging to Mia.Libido@gmail.com or drop questions or comments in the box outside of MGC 252. Sex next week!