Men's soccer splits road trip

Squad beats N.C. State, lose to Duke

The AU men's soccer team split its second consecutive tournament over the weekend, as they defeated N.C. State University 3-0 on Friday afternoon and lost to Duke University by the same score Sunday.

The Eagles opened their tournament play in the Duke/Nike Men's Soccer Classic in fine fashion against the N.C. State Wolfpack.

After numerous scoring opportunities throughout the first half, AU finally got on the scoreboard in the 29th minute of play, as sophomore midfielder Mike Bordon gave a great back pass to junior midfielder Luis Martinez, who buried into the back of the net. It was the first goal of the season for Martinez, which gave the Eagles a 1-0 advantage.

Martinez also had a hand in the Eagles' second goal of the game, when he chipped a pass to teammate junior defender Karsten Smith, who gave AU a 2-0 lead entering halftime.

AU tacked on their third and final goal of the match in the 75th minute on a goal by senior midfielder Anthony Moy, sealing their victory.

Freshman goaltender Matt Makowski recorded six saves to pick up his second shutout of the season.

Against the Blue Devils, the Eagles came out strong in the first half, holding Duke to a scoreless tie as they entered halftime, despite many scoring chances by both squads.

Only five minutes into the second half, the Eagles suddenly found themselves down one man as officials gave junior defender Karsten Smith a red card and kicked him out of the match.

Duke quickly took advantage, recording a goal by freshman forward Temi Molinar five minutes later against the undermanned Eagles to take a 1-0 lead.

The Blue Devils doubled their score within two minutes on a tally by senior forward Mike Grella before taking the 3-0 lead on Molinar's second goal of the match in the 82nd minute of play.

Despite the loss, Martinez and junior defender Cooper Davis are both on the all-tournament team.

The Eagles will play their final tournament of the season when they travel to Princeton, N.J., to play the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.