WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS - Michael Cera and Kat Dennings (far right) are both alumni of Judd Apatow films "Superbad" and "40 Year Old Virgin," respectively. The two join forces in the latest teen flick "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist," which

Comic duo charms fans

The teen romantic comedy "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" combines two things most prevalent to young adults: music and love. Starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings as the title characters, the film is based on the hit book by Rachel Cohn.

The story follows Nick and Norah as two teenagers who have a late night New York City escapade together. Though they continually butt heads, Nick and Norah's taste in music, along with a shared sense of adventure, provides the potential to be something more.

The ongoing success of movies like "Juno" and "Superbad" is due in large part to the awkward charm of Michael Cera. Cera, an alumnus of the Judd Apatow comedic crew, is continually cast in the role of the hilariously lovable and quirky friend. In a recent interview with The Eagle, Cera said that he plans to try and broaden the characters he plays.

"I'm currently working on a project where I kidnap a young boy and proceed to smack him around," he said.

It is Cera's sarcasm and quick wit that have served him well both at the theaters and in online popularity. "Juno," the "indie film that could," has earned critical praise as well as $220 million at the box office. His Internet show "Clark and Michael" with close friend, Clark Duke, gained notoriety on network Web sites. The 11-minute Webisodes were a large draw for fans, but for now, Cera said he's done with it.

"We only wrote that handful and we already made them all," he said. "We just wrote it for fun."

Kat Dennings, an alumna of the Apatow team after starring alongside Steve Carell in "The 40 Year Old Virgin," has made a name for herself in movies such as "The House Bunny" and "Charlie Bartlett." She has also taken advantage of the Web in her own career. Dennings maintains her own Web site that she updates with regular blogs and YouTube videos.

"The posts are my way of talking to people," Dennings said. "I care about all of [the fans], which is why I keep reading and updating."

Coming together in a comedic tour de force was no question for both Cera and Dennings upon discovering the director of "Nick and Norah" was Peter Sollett.

"I really wanted to work with Pete and was excited to see him," Cera said. "He has a really authentic directing style that truly captures the tone of a one-night adventure kind of thing. He does it really truthfully, I think."

Though "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" fits into Dennings and Cera's usual realm of romantic comedy, the two are not fearful of being typecast.

"I think I can speak for both of us when I say [choosing a movie] just depends on the script, and if the script happens to be funny, so be it," Dennings said.

Though Nick and Norah's tale details a wild night of spontaneity, both Cera and Dennings are self-proclaimed homebodies.

"I avoided nights like [the one in the movie] on purpose," Dennings said. "I still kind of do!"

"Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" hits theaters next week.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.