AU plan committee seeks input

Public has two weeks to respond

The Strategic Planning Committee is allowing two weeks for the campus community's suggestions, following the release of its first draft of the university's strategic plan on Monday.

The committee will revise the 40 points of the strategic plan based on input of the campus community, committee Chairman Bill DeLone said. The points are aspirations for AU over the next 10 years, according to DeLone.

Since groups like the Board of Trustees and Student Government received notice long before the draft was published, two weeks should be long enough to consider revisions, he said.

"It's definitely a tight time frame," DeLone said.

The campus community will have more opportunities to add its revisions in the future, he said.

A town hall meeting is scheduled on Sept. 4 at 4 p.m. to take any current suggestions, DeLone said.

Student Government President Seth Cutter also scheduled an open forum to meet with students to discuss the Strategic Plan. The first meeting is scheduled on Sept. 6.

The Board of Trustees will also be reviewing the plan and the suggestions from the community on their retreat in late September, according to Student Trustee-elect David Teslicko.

Students seem to care what outcome the strategic plan will have on them. The plan is fairly faculty-intensive, which is crucial. However, students need to be represented, he said.

"The response has included students wanting to ensure the plan is student-focused," Teslicko said.

The undergraduate population needs to have a hand in what happens with the Strategic Plan. All students should read the draft, Cutter said.

"From what I've heard, there is a general consensus among students that the plan is addressing some of their concerns," Cutter said in an e-mail. "Students want to see an increase in need-based financial aid and shift from our dependence on tuition for operational costs."

The plan includes some rightfully lofty goals, according to Teslicko. However, with current financial pressures and the changing economy, some of the goals within the plan may be rather challenging.

DeLone said he foresees similar financial troubles in implementing the plan, and said several decisions that need to be made regarding the budget.

"There may be some differences in priorities in these things among the campus community," he said.

Several themes and goals are outlined in the plan, all of which include improving AU's prominence among other universities, as well as its place within the D.C., national and international community, DeLone said.

"We hope the document is representative of the campus community," he said.

Input on the Strategic Plan began in February and continued through June. The 21-member planning committee includes faculty, students, staff and alumni, according to a press release.

You can reach this staff writer at jcalantone@theeagleonline.com.