bens-chili-bowl

A Guide to: Off the Red Line

Once you've familiarized yourself with all the culinary offerings that Tenleytown and other areas near Metrorail's red line have to offer, venture farther out into the city and try these D.C. favorites.

BEN'S CHILI BOWL
WHERE: 1213 U St. N.W.
METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines)
COST: A burger is $4.65; fries are $2.35; milkshakes are $2.95
This D.C. classic celebrates its 50th anniversary this month. Head over for an artery-clogging feast of milkshakes, chili dogs, French fries and sausages. Its location a few blocks from the 9:30 club makes it a must for post-concert grub. Ben's is always crowded and the atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but the fried deliciousness more than makes up for it.

CAKELOVE/LOVE CAFE
WHERE: 1501 U St. N.W.
COST: Cupcakes are $3.25 each; whole cakes start at $25
If you haven't blown your whole diet at Ben's, head over to Love Café, the spot to buy individual portions of the company's famous cakes. You can't go wrong with any of the chain's sweet treats. Additional CakeLoves are located in Arlington, Va., Silver Spring, Md., and Tysons Corner, Va.

QUEEN OF SHEBA
WHERE: 1503 Ninth St. N.W.
METRO: Mount Vernon Square/Seventh Street/Convention Center (green and yellow lines)
COST: Vegetarian dishes are around $6; lamb and beef are approximately $10
This is one of the city's best - and cheapest - Ethiopian restaurants. Ethiopian food is traditionally stew-like dishes that are eaten using pieces of spongy bread to picks up chunks of meat and vegetables. (For the less adventurous, Queen of Sheba has a range of standards, such as spaghetti.)

ROSA MEXICANO
WHERE: 575 Seventh St. N.W.
METRO: Gallery Place/Chinatown (red, green and yellow lines)
COST: Tacos range from $15-$18.75; other entrees are $16.75-$26.50
Rosa is one of a national chain that serves upscale Mexican food. It's a little expensive, but definitely worth it. The guacamole is a must - it's made fresh at your table - and at $12, it won't break the bank.

THE TOMBS
WHERE: 1226 36th St. N.W.
METRO: Use the Wisconsin Avenue buses, lines 30, 31, 32, 36, 37
COST: Burgers range from $7.50-$8
Located just off Georgetown University's campus, The Tombs is a favorite with students and staff. Don't let that scare you, though - the burgers are excellent and service is friendly and efficient. Be prepared for a wait, particularly on weekends.

BREAD AND CHOCOLATE
WHERE: 666 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E.
METRO: Eastern Market (blue and orange lines)
COST: Average brunches are $6-10
On weekend mornings, this place is virtually impossible to get into, but if you're lucky you just might get to experience one of Eastern Market's most popular restaurants. People often stake out at their tables and cheerfully chatter with friends or sprawl out with their newspaper for hours. And with dishes such as blueberry-stuffed pancakes and lobster omelets, why would you ever want to leave? Just don't drool into your egg whites.

Eagle Staff Writer Tamar Hallerman contributed to this article.