Review: Sun Giant EP

A

Fleet Foxes "Sun Giant EP" Sub Pop Sounds like: An organic hymn of deep roots rising over hills and valleys

Fleet Foxes' debut EP opens with poignant chords that seem to echo through the rafters of a church, hushed and solemn, delicate and longing. The voices, unaccompanied, swell and decrescendo, carry listeners' hearts with them, instantly entwining the audience in the 20-minute musical journey that is about to unfold.

The record is equally unassuming and dramatic - its earthy sounds demand attention, and its vocals seem to rise from the depths of the human spirit with unique profundity.

The EP is expertly arranged; not a moment passes in which a listener's close attention is not rewarded with a wealth of careful instrumentation and complementary vocals. Not a single element detracts from this sonorous tapestry, though each is distinct.

Likewise, choosing one standout song from amongst the five would demerit the stunning compositions - each is its own work, but also a fluid part of the album as a body of work.

From the striking opening of "Sun Giant" to the rootsy "Mykonos" to the soulful close of "Innocent Son," Fleet Foxes has delivered a lyrically and sonically well-crafted EP that says much more than "watch out world, we're coming." Fleet Foxes are here.