JAMS declares Sigma Delta Tau responsible for conduct violations

Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services found AU's Sigma Delta Tau chapter responsible for numerous violations of the university's conduct code last Monday.

The verdict led to an outpouring of support for the sorority on campus, according to an anonymous source affiliated with a greek organization familiar with the matter. Because the matter is still pending in JAMS, the source asked The Eagle not to reveal her identity and said she could not discuss specific charges against the sorority.

She said she was unsure of what the university's sanctions would be or if the chapter will appeal them.

After JAMS found SDT responsible for the violations on Monday, members of other greek organizations started a "Save SDT" campaign to support the chapter. However, SDT is not responsible for creating the "Save SDT" Facebook group or any of the other PR efforts, according to the source.

"This is an effort to show support for [SDT]," she said.

Members of SDT and other greek organizations are not able to discuss exactly why SDT needs saving and what the JAMS charges are when asked by non-affiliates, including The Eagle.

Emma Wimmer, a freshman in the School of Communication who is not involved in greek life, said she feels the "Save SDT" campaign is flawed.

"If they're going to have these signs everywhere, then they need to have people know what happened, despite if it's embarrassing or gives them a bad image," she said. "I'm not going to support them if I don't know what it's about."

Associate Dean of Students Sara Waldron said that although she was unaware of this specific matter, JAMS verdicts come only after an extensive investigation into a matter by the JAMS office.

"It's usually a pretty sound investigation of fact-finding," she said. "We don't do this lightly."

Greek Life Coordinator Danny Kelley was out of his office this week and could not be reached for comment as of press time yesterday.

SDT's national office highlighted the AU chapter's achievements in a statement.

"Sigma Delta Tau's Gamma Delta Chapter at American University has been an active part of the greek system since 1987," SDT National Executive Director Ann Braly said in the statement. "Gamma Delta chapter sponsors their annual Eat Late and Singled Out events for the benefit of Prevent Child Abuse, co-sponsors philanthropic events with other greek letter organizations and participates in campus events such as Take Back the Night and Relay for Life."

Adam Tager, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and creator of the "Save SDT" Facebook group, said SDT should not be in this much trouble.

Braly said SDT appreciates the support it has been getting on campus.

"Sigma Delta Tau appreciates the overwhelming support provided by their fellow greek brothers and sisters," she said in the statement.

Tager said he knows the sisters of SDT appreciate the awareness of the issue on campus.

"I've been in touch with the sisters of Sigma Delta Tau and I know they would like to thank every person who's been involved with the support effort," he said.