Fennell sets AU record in 5000m

Senior Brendan Fennell set a new AU track and field all-time record in the 5000-meter race as he and his fellow Eagle teammates competed at the adidas Raleigh Relays at North Carolina State University over the weekend.

Fennell captured the 5000-meter race with a time of 13:51.67, a full second in front of second-place finisher Chris Lukezic of the Reebok Track Club. Junior Carlos Jamieson also ran in the 5000-meter race, coming in ninth place with a final time of 14:08.54, still good enough for second all-time in AU program history.

Also finishing in the top five on the men's side were the 4x1500 meter relay team of seniors Steve Hallinan and Brian McCabe along with freshmen Kyle Gaffney and Conor Sullivan. The team finished in fourth position with a combined time of 15:35.59, two seconds behind event winner Eastern Kentucky.

Seniors Cathleen Ford and Kate Lilley were the sole members of the women's team to compete at the event, taking part in both the 5000- and 1500-meter races respectively.

Ford set a new personal best in the 5000 meters with a time of 17:14.31, good enough for 11th place in the race and fifth all-time in AU history.

Lilley took home seventh in the 1500-meter run with a time of 4:47.32, also a personal best. The time also placed her fifth on the all-time AU record book for that distance.

Both track teams will have the week off before returning to action on April 11 and 12, as they compete at the Bison Outdoor Games in Lewisburg, Pa., as well as the Onesty/Abramson Invitational in Charlottesville, Va.