GOING ALL THE WAY -  The men's wrestling team was hindered by forfeits in its match against Bucknell on Sunday, falling 30-14. No. 6-ranked Mike Cannon was a bright spot in the competition, picking up his 50th career victory in the process, by defeating N

Wrestling team takes individual victories, team defeat

Individually, the men's wrestling team continued to receive impressive performances. However, the team struggled to produce positive results as a team Sunday when they dropped their last Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association contest of the season, 30-14 at Bucknell.

Once again, the Eagles were forced to open the duel with consecutive forfeits in both the heavyweight and 125-lb. classes.

Freshman Matt Mariacher took the mat for AU in the 133-lb. match. Despite a valiant effort, Bucknell's 18th-ranked David Marble defeated him.

Sophomore Kyle Borshoff was able to put some points on the board for AU, dominating his 141-lb. battle by posting a 12-3 major decision over the Bison's Luke Chohany. Senior Chris Clarke lost a tech fall decision in the 149-lb. class before senior Christopher Stout notched a decisive 10-0 major decision in the 157-lb. class to regain momentum for the Eagles.

Sophomore Andy Semple used riding time advantage to take the 197-lb. match over Bucknell's Sean LoCurto. The victory was Semple's second conference win of the season.

All of this set the stage for the day's main event in the 165-lb. match-up, with AU's sixth-ranked sophomore Mike Cannon taking on Bucknell's 19th-ranked Andy Rendos. After several minutes of scoreless action, Cannon dropped Rendos with a headlock. Unable to finish Rendos off, Cannon continued to pad his lead throughout the course of the match. Despite a desperate rally by Rendos, Cannon was able to maintain his lead and score the win for AU.

The win was Cannon's 50th of his collegiate career, leaving him just 18 wins short of the AU team record book. The red shirt sophomore's record improved to 21-2 overall and 6-0 in EIWA competition.

The Eagles head to New York on Thursday to Binghamton University for their final dual meet of 2008.