Divide and conquer: Swimmers prove there can be an "I" in team

Individual wins not enough for team victory

Both the men's and women's swimming and diving teams could not pull through with team victories on Saturday at George Mason University. Although some individual successes did occur, it was not enough for either team to take home a win.

The women battled it out against Army, George Mason and Old Dominion, and senior Meghan Thiel came through once again. Thiel, recently named Eastern College Athletic Conference Division 1 female swimmer of the week, scored the only two victories of the day for AU. Thiel won both the 500 and 1650 freestyle races, and her time of 17:24.41 for the 1650 qualified for seventh fastest time in AU school history and fifth fastest time in conference history.

Freshman Dorothy Issacs also did well for the women, coming in second in the 100-yard freestyle and fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke. Issacs' breaststroke time of 1:08.07 granted her ninth position on AU's all-time list.

Senior Joe Coronato had the best finishes on the men's side. Coronato took third in the 50-, 100- and 200-yard freestyle swims. Participating with Coronato in the 50-yard freestyle were freshman Brian Galm and sophomores Matt Pelletier and Eric Sveum, placing 11th, sixth, and 12th respectively.

Pelletier also took fourth in the 100-yard backstroke, fifth in the 200-yard backstroke and was a member of the 200-yard medley relay team which placed sixth out of seven.

Both teams will be back in the pool on Saturday at the Navy Invitational.