Art professor dies of cancer at 62

AU alum, former art department director remembered by students

Ron Haynie, associate professor of art and former chair of the art department, died of cancer on Jan. 4 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Haynie, 62, obtained both his bachelor's degree in fine arts and his master's degree in painting from AU. After several years of teaching at Dumbarton College and Trinity College, he returned to AU as a faculty member in 1970.

He served as the chair of the Department of Art from 2001 until 2004. Haynie was also the director of the Watkins Gallery and Collection.

Students and faculty admired the witty personality and graciousness that Haynie brought to the department, said Haig Mardirosian, dean of academic affairs. Haynie's approach to his artwork was indicative of his teaching methods, according to Mardirosian.

"He was able to try and create an interactive learning environment, which was as beautiful as those things that he was portraying on campus," he said.

Haynie's artwork appeared at venues such as the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Prince Street Gallery, Washington Project for the Arts and the City Gallery.

Some of Haynie's former students discussed his demeanor as a professor in their blogs.

"His exuberantly colorful set-ups were always a joy to work from, and his insistence on exercising and developing fundamental skills has been invaluable to me," 1997 AU graduate Maude Zopf said in her blog.

Cara Ober, a 1996 graduate, wrote about when Haynie invited an advanced drawing class to his home and studio.

"It was amazing and so welcoming," Ober said in her blog. "He really liked to have a good time, and it was important to him that we did, too."

Haynie's legacy will continue, Mardirosian said.

"Ron's real legacy is going to be on the growth and the ascendancy of the art department and particularly in his mentorship of the young faculty members," Mardirosian said.

Haynie is survived by his wife, Glenna K. Haynie, administrative coordinator in the Department of Art; his daughter, Michael Katherine Haynie; and his father, Manuel B. Haynie.

Memorial services took place Jan. 10 at St. Patrick's Episcopal Church.