Tuition costs increase nationwide

AU cost to rise by 6 percent

College tuition and fees are rising at twice the rate of inflation nationwide, including tuition at AU, according to a recent report by the College Board.

According to the 2006-2007 Financial Plan and AU Financial Aid Application, the cost of tuition last year came to $29,206. With costs such as fees, transportation and room and board added, this total was raised to an annual estimated cost of $43,143.

This year, AU's tuition and financial aid report shows that tuition alone has risen to an annual $30,958.

The small text underneath the estimated costs box on the 2007-2008 Financial Aid Application tells students: "Expect 6 percent increase next academic year."

There was a 6.3 percent increase in tuition for fiscal year 2006 and a 6 percent increase for fiscal year 2007, according to the AU Budget Office's Web site.

COLLEGE COSTS BY REGION

Although college costs are rising nationwide, The College Board reported costs are not equal across the country. Below is the average cost of tuition at four-year private universities:

•New England: $30,154 •Middle states: $25,021 •West: $23,151 •Midwest: $22,171 •South: $20,570 •Southwest: $19,748

SOURCE: "Trends in College Pricing 2007," a report by the College Board

The average rate of increase for these institutions was 2.9 percent per year over the past decade, according to the College Board report.

Financial aid at AU was projected to be increased to match the tuition rate and based on enrollment projections, according to the budget report.

Many AU students said they were angry about the rising costs.

The rising tuition is ridiculous, said Sonya Ling, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"Smart, talented people can't go to college because of the money," she said.

Almost all students interviewed expressed similar disgust at the rising cost of tuition. Student loan debt is a major concern, many said. Several wished to remain anonymous to avoid revealing their families' financial situations.

One student, who wished to remain anonymous, said she was embarrassed her parents were struggling to pay.

"Ultimately, education is something worth spending money on, even though my student debt is going to suck later," she said.