Eagle excellence

This week, many Eagles have received awards and recognitions in the Patriot League.

In cross country, senior Brendan Fennell was named the East Coast Athletic Conference's Division I Athlete of the Week. Fennell won a PL Championship race last weekend, helping his team gain its sixth consecutive conference title.

In swimming, senior Meghan Thiel was named the Patriot League's Female Swimmer of the Week. Thiel recorded five individual wins at AU's last swim meet against the George Washington University and Catholic University.

Field hockey gained three out of the four PL awards this week. Sophomore Anne-Meike De Wiljes took home Defensive Player of the Week, Rookie of the Week went to freshman Christine Fingerhuth, while goalie Alyssa Poorman earned Goalkeeper of the Week.

De Wiljes scored the game-winning goal for field hockey's last game of the regular season against Holy Cross. In the same game, Fingerhuth scored her seventh goal of the season four minutes into play of the second half. Poorman has had six shutouts thus far in the season and a .846 save average, all of which have helped lead the Eagles to an undefeated record in regular-season PL play. Senior Denise Infante was chosen to represent AU and the Patriot League in the 2007 NFHCA Division I Senior All-Star Game.

Women's soccer goalie Kelsey Wiggins was named the Patriot League Brine Goalkeeper of the Week. Wiggins had two shutouts this past weekend and has a .824 save average.

In volleyball, Eagles Christina Nash and Cassandra Ricketts were named the Patriot League/Baden Player of the Week and the Patriot League/Baden Rookie of the Week, respectively. Ricketts recorded a career-high 18 kills on Wednesday against Morgan State, while Nash had a career high of 64 assists.