STRONG KICK - Freshman midfielder Brooke Sheppard uses all of her might to kick the ball away from her opponent. Strong kicks got the Eagles their 3-0 win against Holy Cross on Friday and 0-0 tie against Army on Sunday. The Eagles go on to play Bucknell S

Women's soccer holds perfect PL record

The women's soccer team continues a perfect Patriot League record after a 3-0 victory against Holy Cross Friday and a thrilling 0-0 tie against rival Army on Sunday.

It was a dreary, rainy day when the Eagles took to their soggy field to play the 3-13 Holy Cross Knights. The rain pelted the players and fans alike, so much so that the start of the game was delayed 15 minutes to allow a downpour to pass through. Once play had begun, the depressing weather was forgotten and AU took control of the game. Like the incessant rain, the Eagles did not let up until it was time for Holy Cross to head home to Massachusetts.

Within the first three minutes of the game, AU set its mark as Kelsey Brasher crossed the ball across the goal line and connected with Krystn Hodge. The rest of the half was all about control.

Though the Eagles did not score again until the 65th minute, their constant pressure from the offensive end kept the Holly Cross defense scrambling and their offensive attack at bay. In part due to stellar goalkeeping by the Knights' Jessica Pietrowicz, the Eagle lead at halftime could have been more. Holy Cross was out-shot 12-0 in the first half alone.

The Eagles continued their steady barrage of shots in the second half. This time, they were able to connect with the back of the net twice. Brasher scored off a corner kick, and Hodge scored her second goal of the game off an infield cross.

Unlike Friday's game, the sun was shining brightly when the Eagles faced off against rival Army on Sunday. The echoes of cheering students and lingering parents were heard across the field and into the heart of AU's campus. Both teams fought ferociously, but in the end, it was time that won with the game tied at 0.

However, the Eagles out-shot their opponent 20-10. But no matter how many times the offense was able to attack the goal, it was Army's solid defense that stood in the way. By the end of regulation, the scoreboard was still blank and the excitement from both Army and AU escalated to the bursting point. Army and AU continued their stalemate through both overtimes and in the end, the blank scoreboard was left official.

The Eagles' final regular season game will be played at home against Bucknell Saturday.