Metro brief

'Polar bears' protest, arrested on Capitol Hill

U.S. Capitol Police Monday morning arrested dozens of protesters when they blocked the streets and entrances outside congressional buildings on Capitol Hill, CNN.com reported.

Among those protesting and arrested were global warming demonstrators wearing polar bear costumes who danced in front of the Cannon House Building, The Washington Post reported.

"We are dressed up as polar bears to raise awareness around the fact that the war is directly related to global warming and contributing to global warming," Ariel Vegosen, one of the protesters dressed as a polar bear, told the Post.

Other protesters sat down and formed a human chain at the intersection of Independence and New Jersey avenues at about 8:15 a.m., the Post reported. After police dragged them away, another group sat down, prompting another wave of arrests.

In total, almost 60 people were arrested on various charges including unlawful assembly, Sgt. Kimberley Schneider, the spokeswoman for the U.S. Capitol Police, told the Post Monday.

The protest involved an estimated 200 people and demonstrated against such issues as global warming, war and sexism, the Post reported.

-PATRICIO CHILE