PLAYING FROM HIGH HEIGHTS- Cameron Petty watches as fellow Eagle Cooper Bryant does anything it takes to get his opponent away from the ball, even if it means jumping over him to prevent a goal.

Men's soccer falls short to Penn, 2-1

Despite scoring the first goal of the game, the men's soccer team lost to Penn Tuesday, 2-1. The Eagles traveled to the home of the Quakers coming straight from a scoreless tie with their last opponent, Lafayette.

Midfielder Cameron Petty scored the game's opening goal. Colin Zizzi of AU attacked a loose ball in the box and, although his back was to the net, he fired. His shot headed wide left. Petty gained control and scored with 17 minutes on the clock.

This was Petty's first career goal. He is now one of eight players who have scored for the Eagles this season, seven of which were first career goals.

As time in the first period rapidly ran out, the Eagles attempted to hold onto a 1-0 lead over the Quakers. The intensity level picked up as the Quakers gave a final effort to get themselves up on the scoreboard before the half.

The ball made its way down in the box, where it was picked up by a Penn offensive player. The Eagles' keeper, Chris Sedlak, responded with fury to his opponent's attempts as both Penn shots were blocked. However, a Quaker player was able to penetrate through the defensive block when a rebound was chipped over and into the net.

Going into the second period the scoreboard displayed another tied-up game. Both teams were presented with outside challenges as the weather began to take a turn for the worse. Rain began to fall with 25 minutes remaining.

In the 70th minute, the Quakers capitalized on a clean pass to an offensive player who then kicked the ball into the net, giving Penn a one-point lead on the Eagles.

AU responded with strong attempts to even the game, but none were successful. Three corner kicks and several long balls into the box were unable to penetrate the strong defense played by Penn. The game ended in favor of the Quakers, adding to its third consecutive win.

The Eagles will travel to Navy on Saturday to continue their conference play.