Field hockey holds 5-0 conference record

Eagles beat Holy Cross Crusaders 4-0, move on to PL tourney undefeated

The field hockey team traveled to Holy Cross Crusader turf to beat the Crusaders 4-0 on Saturday.

The Eagles now enter the Patriot League tournament with a 13-4-0 overall record and an undefeated 5-0 record for conference games.

The first half of play was slow, with only one goal scored. Sophomore Anne-Meike De Wilijes beat the Crusader goalie during a penalty stroke, bringing the score to 1-0.

AU came out to the field with more power and strength behind them in the second half. A little over six minutes into play, freshman Christine Fingerhuth scored her seventh goal of the season off an assist from junior Irene Schickhardt, bringing the score to 2-0.

Three minutes later, the Eagles struck again. Schickhardt beat the Holy Cross goalkeeper, scoring an unassisted goal off a chip shot.

Dominating the field with quick transitions to beat Crusader defense, the Eagles were able to capitalize on their roaring offense and score the fourth and final goal of the day. Schickhardt received the pass from an Eagle offender and went on to net her second goal of the game and ninth goal of the season.

It was truly Schickhardt's game. The Eagle not only scored two goals of her own, but assisted in Fingerhuth's goal and gained the penalty stroke in the first.

"Irene was a threat all day for us," said Associate Head Coach Sarah Krombolz in an AU athletics press release. "She was dangerous on the attack, creating opportunities and capitalizing on her own."

The Eagles move on to play in their first Patriot League tournament game at home, set for Friday. Because AU is the top seed, they will face fourth place Colgate for the semifinal game.