RACE FOR THE BALL- Krystn Hodge outruns her opponent to gain control of the game and go for a goal. Hodge scored two of the three Eagle goals in Tuesday's game against the George Mason Patriots.

Women's soccer defeats George Mason Patriots, 3-1

The women's soccer squad triumphed 3-1 in Tuesday's game against area rival George Mason. With a record of 6-2, the Eagles are off to its best start since the 2004 season.

The first half was an intense defensive battle. Neither team allowed the other to cross the midfield chalk. Only four shots were fired on goal in the first 45 minutes of the game. It appeared as if the match would be decided by whose defense stayed strong the longest. All this changed in the second half.

In the seventh minute of the second half, Eagle forward Krystn Hodge scored a beautiful goal, connecting with a rebound after George Mason's goalie, Kasey Davenport, blocked a shot by Kelsey Brasher. The defensive battle was over, and the floodgates were open.

Within 10 minutes of the first goal of the game, three more goals were tallied, two from AU and one from George Mason. Erin Stebbins earned a free kick 25 yards out and sent the ball flying to Annette Scott. Scott quickly passed the ball off to teammate Erin Koch who was waiting on the edge of the box. Koch set up the play by crossing the ball through the box and connecting with teammate Hodge's head. The goal brought the score to 2-0.

George Mason had plenty of opportunities to score in the second half, out-shooting American 11-10. However, the team only had one opportunity in which it made contact with the net. With 66 minutes on the clock, Mason athlete Annie Lebherz scored the Patriots' lone goal.

The Eagles' third and final goal of the game came in the 68th minute from the Hodge and Koch duo. This time around, it was Hodge who was assisting. Hodge sent the ball to Koch for the deflection. It was Koch's first goal of the season and the Eagles' winning point.

Thanks to staunch defense and a valiant effort by goalie Kelsey Wiggins, the Eagles held off another Mason attack. It was Wiggins' first win of the 2007 season while she was in goal.

The Eagles look to continue improving the team's record when it plays James Madison on Friday.