DRIBBLING FOR THE WIN- Junior Katie Turner avoids her opponent as she takes the ball up the field toward the goal. The AU Eagles continued to defend their thus far undefeated record. The Eagles will face Kent State at Northwestern University this Saturday

No. 12 field hockey remains undefeated after Terrapin Invitational

AU field hockey won its sixth game of the season on Sunday after defeating Ohio State 3-1 in the Terrapin Invitational. The win brings the Eagles' field hockey record to 6-0 following a success against Northeastern on Saturday.

The Buckeyes got on the scoreboard first in Sunday's game. Just under three minutes into play of the second half, Ohio State tallied a goal to make it a 1-0 game. This was only the second time this year the Lady Eagles did not score first.

It wasn't long before AU was able to take the goal back. At 26:39 the Eagles gained its eighth penalty corner of the day. Junior Irene Schickhardt set off the play. From the top of the circle, teammate Denise Infante was in position and sent the ball flying through the circle to senior Maggie Hall. Hall deflected the ball in for her first goal of the season.

However, AU would not stop there. Soon after, sophomore Anne-Meike De Wiljes shot the ball from outside the circle to sophomore Savannah Graybill. The Buckeyes' goalkeeper failed to get her pads on the ball, bringing the score to a 2-1 Eagle advantage.

Relentlessly AU played on, and at 57:32, Schickhardt and sophomore Emily Stovicek worked together to gain the third and final goal of the day for AU. It was clear from the scoreboard that the Eagles dominated in the game, outnumbering Ohio State in shots on goal and penalty corners.

Saturday's game against Northeastern was just as pleasant for the Eagles. Both teams were shy of a goal in the first half, with AU thanking goalie Alyssa Poorman for two amazing saves with just under two minutes to go in the first half.

Poorman and the rest of the Eagles came back stronger and harder in the second half. With 22:04 remaining on the clock, the Huskies threw another challenge Poorman's way. Poorman dove for the save, keeping the scoreboard locked at zero for both sides.

With five seconds left on the clock, AU was able to take advantage of its ninth penalty corner. Schickhardt inserted the ball to Infante, who sent the ball to the far post. The Huskie goalkeeper answered with a save, sending the ball back into play in the center of the circle. Graybill retaliated and recorded her third goal of the season, bringing the Eagles to another dramatic win for this season.

The Eagles play Saturday against Kent State at Northwestern University.