GET HER DONE - Charlie Logan, played by Dane Cook, meets Cam, played by Jessica Alba, in this foul, and sometimes romantic, comedy. Charlie has the curse - or blessing - of guiding women toward true love as soon as they sleep with him. Will he choose true

'Chuck' gives women, audience more bang for their buck

Good Luck Chuck: A-

"Good Luck Chuck" deserves its R-rating. But between the foul language and lurid content, it pulls off some good humor, touching drama and even a few genuinely romantic scenes between lead actors Dane Cook and Jessica Alba.

Cook plays Charlie Logan, a dentist - viewers will just have to believe that not all dentists are sadists and not all dentists are unattractive - who suddenly discovers that he is something of a "lucky charm." The result of a hex placed on him as a child, Charlie now serves as a checkpoint for women on the path to true love. Having sex with him guarantees the discovery of true love.

From a crazy concept proceeds a crazy movie. "Good Luck Chuck" contains its fair share of slapstick, verbal and physical humor. Charlie can no longer tolerate what he feels is a forever-doomed sex life. His sex-obsessed friend and plastic surgeon, Stu (Dan Fogler), tells him to stop worrying. Have sex with as many women as possible and ask questions later, he says.

Around the time Charlie learns of his curse, he meets Cam (Jessica Alba), the yin to his yang. Though obsessed with penguins and prone to countless accidents, Cam is charming and vivacious - thanks to an excellent performance by Alba.

Cam's relationship with Charlie is constantly overshadowed by the penguin motif; shapes and symbols resembling the black and white birds crop up everywhere. While the gag is probably used one too many times, it adds a sense of animal instinct to the otherwise entirely reasonless relationship that Charlie and Cam share.

All the women in the film seem incapable of finding love on their own and, more importantly, are fixated on getting married above all else. Relying on a more or less outdated value system, "Good Luck Chuck" depicts scores of desperate women who have no qualms involving themselves in the most casual sex - the one-time hookup - in order to proceed to the less casual sex of an until-death-do-we-part marriage.

"Good Luck Chuck" is anything but a subtle film. But that should be clear by now. Those looking for love, or something a little less serious, should check out the film. "Chuck" hits theaters nationwide tomorrow.