Guide To: Visiting D.C. Tourist Attractions

While the National Mall is a tourist hot spot, the monuments and museums are still worth visiting. There are ways to tour the high tourist areas without sticking out like one. Here are some tips.

-Go early. According to the Smithsonian's Web site, museums are less crowded right after they open at 10 a.m.

-Or go late. Visiting the monuments at night is truly a D.C. experience. Just be aware that the Smithsonian Metro entrance on the National Mall closes at 10 p.m.

-Go during the week. Most tourists come on weekends, so use that break between classes to head downtown. Be particularly wary of hoards of elementary school field trips on Fridays.

-Go in the winter. Wait until October or so to minimize crowds. Avoid holidays like Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day and President's Day.

-Expect delays for security. Restrictions vary by attraction but may include searches of purses and backpacks, metal detectors and proof of identification. Know the restrictions ahead of time and be prepared.

-Use alternate Metro stations. Stay on the red line and get off at Judiciary Square to see the Supreme Court or Capitol rather than switching lines and going to Capitol South. The Smithsonian stop is one of the busiest; try Federal Triangle instead.

-Wear comfortable shoes. Often the most efficient way to travel between multiple tourist attractions is on foot. Some attractions, particularly the Jefferson Memorial, are a decent hike from the nearest Metro.

Popular attractions, hours, information and ways to get there

Supreme Court

Location: Intersection of East Capitol and First streets N.E. Hours: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays except federal holidays. Lectures are given every hour on the half-hour on days the court is not in session. Visitors can hear oral arguments at the Supreme Court beginning the first Monday in October. Arguments are held Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Before the arguments, two lines form in front of the building - one for people who want to hear the whole argument and one for people who want to observe for three minutes. Don't expect to get in to hear oral arguments in big cases on abortion or free speech. More information: www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visiting.html

U.S. Capitol

Location: The east end of Capitol Hill near First Street Hours: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday; open federal holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas. For public tours, visitors must obtain a ticket at the Capitol Guide Service Kiosk at First Street and Independence Avenue S.W. Tickets are available beginning at 9 a.m. and are given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Contact your representative or senator's office about staff-led tours, or find an AU student who is interning to get information about tours given by congressional staff and interns. Security is tight at the Capitol (particularly if you visit the galleries); call the Capitol Information line at 202-225-6827 to hear a recorded message of prohibited items, or visit the architect of the Capitol's Web site at www.aoc.gov.

Washington Monument

Location: The National Mall, 15th Street S.W. Hours: 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Visitors must obtain tickets to ride the elevator to the top of the monument. Free same-day tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis at the kiosk on 15th Street beginning at 8:30 a.m. Visitors can also reserve tickets through the National Park Service Reservation System at 1-800-967-2283. Tickets reserved through the reservation system incur a $1.50 service charge and $0.50 shipping and handling fee. More information: www.nps.gov/archive/wamo/home.htm.

Lincoln Memorial

Location: Far west end of the National Mall, near 23rd Street N.W. Hours: Open 24 hours a day; rangers available to answer questions from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily. No tickets are required to visit the Lincoln Memorial. More information: www.nps.gov/linc.

Jefferson Memorial

Location: Southern end of Tidal Basin, just off East Basin Drive Hours: Open 24 hours a day; rangers available to answer questions from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. No tickets are required to visit the Jefferson Memorial. More information: www.nps.gov/thje/.

World War II Memorial

Location: 17th Street N.W., between Constitution and Independence Avenues Hours: Open 24 hours a day; rangers available to answer questions from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. No tickets are required to visit the World War II Memorial. More information: www.wwiimemorial.com or www.nps.gov/nwwm.

Franklin Roosevelt Memorial

Location: Western end of the Tidal Basin, just off West Tidal Drive Hours: Memorial open 24 hours a day; rangers available to answer questions from 8 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. Bookstore hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; restrooms close at 11:30 p.m. No tickets are required to visit the Roosevelt Memorial. More information: www.nps.gov/fdrm/.

Vietnam Veterans' Memorial

Location: North end of the National Mall, off Constitution and 19th streets N.W. Hours: Open 24 hours a day; rangers available to answer questions from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. No tickets are required to visit the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial. More information: www.nps.gov/vive/ or thewall-usa.com/.

Smithsonian Museums

There are 19 Smithsonian museums, including the National Museum of Natural History, the National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of the American Indian. The National Museum of American History is closed for renovation until next summer. Hours: Most museums are open from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily; some have later opening and closing times or extended hours in the summer. More information: www.si.edu/museums/.

National Zoo

Location: 3001 Connecticut Ave. N.W. Hours: From April 1 to Oct. 31, the grounds are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., and buildings are open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. From Nov. 1 to March 31, the grounds are open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and buildings are open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Admission to the zoo is free. Avoid school field trips by going before 10 a.m. or after 2 p.m. More information: www.nationalzoo.si.edu/.

Other useful Web sites:

www.classbrain.com/artmonument/uploads/wamall.pdf has an excellent map of the National Mall and surrounding areas.