Guide To: Exploring the Red Line

Linking the suburban to the cosmopolitan, the Metro's red line offers AU students easy access to many of the city's riches. The red line begins and ends in suburban Maryland. Pick the line up at Tenleytown and explore the District's myriad and diverse neighborhoods.

Bethesda While Bethesda is mainly a business city, it does have a few notable, and surprisingly affordable, draws for students. Watch in the spring for Saturday morning flea markets and the Bethesda Literary Festival.

Don't miss: Mustard Seed 7349 Wisconsin Ave. 301-907-4699

An eclectic collection of new, used and vintage clothing, shoes and accessories.

Divino Lounge 7345 Wisconsin Ave. 240-497-0300

Half-priced tapas from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. The lounge also hosts "Latin Night" every Tuesday with salsa lessons followed by dancing.

Friendship Heights About a mile walk from campus down Wisconsin Avenue (or a very short Metro ride), Friendship Heights is the place for all of the chain stores and restaurants you secretly miss from home. Both affordable and high-end shopping abound here.

Linens-N-Things 5333 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-244-9025

Come for all the things you forgot to pack or didn't realize you need: coffee makers, towels and comfy butterfly chairs in bright colors. Bring your roommate and bond.

Cheesecake Factory 5345 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (In the Chevy Chase Pavillion) 202-364-0500

There's a reason the Factory is so ubiquitous: the cheesecake really is that delicious. All menu items can also be ordered to go at the bakery counter if you're really craving some cheesecake but don't want to wait.

Filene's Basement 5300 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (In the Mazza Gallery) 202-966-0208

Famous for its name-brand selections at bargain prices.

Borders 5333 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-686-8270

Books, music, movies and a caf?.

Booeymonger Restaurant 5252 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-686-5805

Come for tasty and filling deli sandwiches, often served with spicy potato wedges.

Tenleytown

Tenleytown is the closest Metro stop to AU and is also the only stop on the red line whose restaurants are likely to accept EagleBuck$. Picking up a 32, 34 or 36 bus at the bus stop in front of the Best Buy on Wisconsin Avenue will also take you down to Georgetown, with the National Cathedral a stop along the way.

Don't miss: Angelico's 4529 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-243-3030

One block from the Tenleytown Metro, this is an Italian restaurant that also accepts EagleBuck$. Try the pesto pasta.

Neisha 4445 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-966-7088

Thai food at moderate prices. Accepts EagleBuck$.

Cleveland Park A quaint residential neighborhood, Cleveland Park offers many quiet but interesting dining spots. Getting off at the Cleveland Park Metro stop also provides the easiest walk to the zoo.

Don't miss: AMC Loews Uptown 1 3426 Connecticut Ave. N.W. 202-966-5400

An old-fashioned movie theater with only one screen. $8.50 for a student ticket.

Spices Asian Restaurant & Sushi Bar 3333-A Connecticut Ave. N.W. 202-686-3833

Located across the street from the Uptown, this Washington Post Editors' Pick has a menu that includes Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisine. Newly remodeled, stylish decor backdrops the delicious, moderately priced food. Make sure to try their famous ginger salad ($6).

Woodley Park Zoo/Adam's Morgan A vibrant, multi-cultural neighborhood, Adam's Morgan is home to some of the tastiest (and cheapest) cuisine in the District and a thriving nightlife. Food from almost any culture can be found in this neighborhood, from Ethiopian stews to ice cream from Maggie Moos (American classics have a place in this neighborhood, too). Come for great late-night dining, an array of cultural and arts festivals or a cheap weekend morning brunch and shopping trip through the area's unique stores. The Woodley Park/Adam's Morgan Metro stop is about a mile hike from the main restaurant and shopping area, so be cautious when traveling at night.

Don't miss: National Zoological Park 3000 block of Connecticut Avenue N.W. 202-673-4800 Admission is free

The National Zoological Park is also a short walk from this Metro stop and makes for a fun afternoon. Exhibits include the famous panda bears, a reptile house, farm animals, a small mammal house, hippopotamus and more. Be sure to check out the sloth bears.

Asylum 2471 18th St. N.W. 202-319-9353

This lively nighttime biker bar transforms to host a delicious and inexpensive vegan brunch on Sunday mornings. Try the vegan breakfast platter with scrambled tofu and home fries or splurge on the vegan chili cheese fries. For meat eaters, Asylum's menu also features steak and eggs as well as burgers.

Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant 2434 18th St. N.W. 202-462-4100 Average Entree: $11-$20 Open until midnight.

Try stewed meats and vegetables at what The Washington Post rated the best Ethiopian restaurant in D.C.

Crooked Beat Records 2318 18th St. N.W. 202-483-2328 A favorite among music lovers, this tiny shop sells both new and used music.

Dupont Circle Dupont Circle is one of the District's famous nightspots, with numerous clubs, restaurants and late-night coffee shops. However, it is more than a trendy weekend hotspot. Numerous social organizations call Dupont Circle home because of its open, liberal atmosphere.

Don't miss: Kramerbooks 1517 Connecticut Ave. N.W. 202-387-1400

Open 24 hours on the weekends, this bookstore, restaurant and bar is a hip Dupont landmark. Live music, an eclectic selection of books and magazines and gourmet food ensures that Kramer's is always packed, whether it is 2 p.m. or 2 a.m. The food here is a bit pricy, so bring your parents on family weekend for a delicious Sunday brunch. Otherwise, get dolled up and come for dessert late Saturday night. Be sure and try the Dysfunctional Family Sunday, which tops vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, raspberry sauce and numerous other delicious toppings. It is big enough for a whole slew of friends to share, so come prepared!

Zorba's Caf? 1612 20th St. N.W. 202-387-8555

Cheap and delicious Greek food less than a block from the Q Street exit of the Dupont Circle Metro. Sandwiches, such as falafel and gyro, are less than $7. Try the hot sourdough rolls stuffed with feta cheese for $.75 apiece.

Cosi 1350 Connecticut Ave. N.W. (202-296-9341) 1647 20th St. N.W. (202-332-6364)

Though Cosi has surprisingly slow service on weekend nights and moderately overpriced fare, its tableside s'mores are hard to resist. The menu also features yummy dessert coffee drinks. Try the Double Oh! Arctic Mocha, a blend of Oreos, milk, espresso and chocolate, because it is extraordinarily fun to order.

Teaism 2009 R St. N.W. 202-667-3827

Menu features a variety of teas, homemade scones and unique breakfast options such as sourdough waffles ($5.75, weekdays only) and cilantro scrambled eggs ($5.) Asian-inspired cuisine dominates the menu later in the day. Try the sweet potato salad with miso sauce ($2.50) for a lunch side item, or ochazuke, green tea over seasoned rice.

Metro Center Metro Center is a transportation hub for transferring to the blue and orange lines, which will take you to the Mall and its many museums and monuments. While tourists rarely explore the area surrounding Metro Center, plentiful shopping, dining, museums and cinema make it a worthwhile stop for locals. It is also one of the closest Metro stops to the White House.

Don't miss: Landmark's E Street Cinema 555 11th St. N.W. 202-452-7672

This gem for independent and alternative cinema is located only one block from Metro Center. It boasts both small and large theaters, concessions for the health-conscious (including veggie dogs) and the hottest new independent films. The student discount on tickets is available Friday, but not Saturday, nights.

National Museum of Women in the Arts 1250 New York Ave. N.W. 202-783-5000 $8 for students, free on the first Sunday of the month

Houses a diverse but modest collection of artwork from women artists.

American Apparel 555 11th St. N.W. 202-628-0438

Shop American Apparel for sweatshop-free basics made in America.

H&M 1025 F St. N.W. 202-347-3306

For the more budget-conscious shopper, try H&M for relatively inexpensive, trendy items as well as plenty of basics.

Gallery Place/Chinatown Dining choices abound here until the later hours, but Chinatown offers more than just restaurants. The Verizon Center, the District's professional sports hub, calls Chinatown home. Several museums, including the International Spy Museum, are also a short walk from this Metro stop.

Don't miss: Jaleo 480 Seventh St. N.W. 202-628-7949

Jaleo's large menu lists over 50 varieties of authentic Spanish tapas, mini-appetizers ordered in bundles to create a meal. Reservations are advised; there is also a location in Bethesda.

International Spy Museum 800 F St. N.W. 202-393-7798

The Washington Post describes this museum as the first "devoted to international espionage." The $16 price tag for tickets is admittedly steep, especially in a city bursting with free museums. With extremely cool artifacts, however, you'll feel as though you've walked into a James Bond movie. The museum is often packed, so call ahead to get advanced tickets for the date and time you wish to come.

Verizon Center 601 F St. N.W. 202-628-3200

This is the home for the Washington Wizards and Mystics, the city's men's and women's professional basketball teams. It is also the home ice for the Washington Capitols, the District's professional hockey team. Top pop acts often perform here as well, like John Mayer did this past July. Metro service is extended if games or shows extend past traditional hours.