Deerhunter set to slay Black Cat

Just when it seemed like rock 'n' roll had traded in hard drugs for harpsichords, the boundary-bending boys of Deerhunter will play at the Black Cat tonight at 9 p.m. with opening act Clockcleaner.

After Deerhunter's original bassist, Justin Bosworth, died of head injuries inflicted during a skateboarding accident in 2004, the band's future looked dismal. Prior to Bosworth's death, the late musician had endured a long-standing battle with heroin addiction and finally began to clean up before the band planned to start recording its debut album, "Turn It Up Faggot."

Bosworth's unforeseen death weighed deeply upon the psyche of the remaining band members and had a subsequently melancholic effect on the production of the band's first album. The Atlanta-based band spent a couple of years touring with groups like Lightning Bolt and Gang Gang Dance, acquiring its own stature along the way as one of indie rock's premier ambient musical trips.

In early 2007, Deerhunter released its second album, "Cryptograms," and the EP "Fluorescent Grey," which charmed critics. The latter acquired attention from Pitchfork Media and its coveted "Best New Music" title. Since then, lead singer Bradford Cox has been sparking attention left and right with his peculiarities.

In July 2007, Cox posted an entry on Deerhunter's blog in which he described "five imaginary boyfriends (and why they would never work out)," each of which were accompanied with pornographic photographs and extreme literal depictions of physical abuse and hard drug use. Suspicions were raised as to whether or not the five males were over the age of 18, and Pitchfork, the same media outlet that generated buzz for the band months prior, suggested that Cox might be greeted by the feds if he kept his act up.

This was not the first time Cox instigated controversy for himself or the band. In fact, it appears to be his charm. Cox even went so far as to instate a "poop journal" on the band's blog, where he photographed high school best friend and Deerhunter guitarist Lockett Pundt's feces with colorful accounts of which foods he consumed throughout the day.

When Cox is not preoccupied with photographing Pundt's fecal products, his unorthodox behavior does not always breed negative controversy. Onstage at shows, Cox tends to sport sundresses and deliver powerful performances that have attained the respect of such artists as Yeah Yeah Yeahs banshee-like lead singer Karen O. Cox.

Deerhunter's latest album, "Cryptograms," continues their exploration and experimentation in the musical fields of ambient sound, minimalism and garage rock. Echoing the intricate soundscapes of My Bloody Valentine, Deerhunter's latest work is a complete departure from the overtly aggressive punk-driven "Turn It up Faggot." Don't worry, Deerhunter is not going soft on their fans. Chances are that Cox will continue to lather himself in fake blood as per usual.

Tickets for the backstage performance this evening at the Black Cat are $10.