AU field hockey starts year with win

The AU Eagles field hockey team kicked off its season with a clean sweep this past weekend at the Spider Classic in Richmond, Va. Beginning with a 5-1 win against the Radford Highlanders on Saturday and finishing off with a final score of 4-0 against the Richmond Spiders on Sunday, the Eagles proved that this season the team mean business on the field.

On Saturday against Radford, defender Denise Infante put things in motion from the start with her goal off of a penalty corner against the Highlanders only 2:16 into the game. Moments later, Irene Schickhardt scored a goal with an assist from Infante to bring the total number of goals scored in the first half to two.

Reflective of the first half, sophomore Savannah Graybill scored early on in the second period off of an assist by freshman Christine Fingerhuth and Schickhardt to bring the Eagle's goal tally to three. However, Radford answered back five minutes into the second half with a penalty shot on goal, bringing the score to 3-1.

It wasn't long before the Eagles struck back. With 49:05 on the clock, Infante scored again, bringing her total number of goals for the day to two.

Soon after, teammate Emily Stovicek scored for the Eagles, bringing the final score of Saturday's game to 5-1.

Sunday was just as pleasant for the Eagles. With only six minutes into the game, Schickhardt scored her second goal of the weekend. However, her force didn't stop there. With 25:35 on the clock, Schickhardt sent the ball flying from the top of the circle, setting it up perfectly for rookie Fingerhuth, bringing the score to 2-0. With only two minutes remaining in the first half, power player Infante scored her third goal of the weekend, finishing up the first half with a 3-0 lead over the Spiders.

In the final half, with 66:12 on the clock, Infante shot her fourth goal of the weekend.

"Denise got four goals and two assists this weekend," Coach Steve Jennings said. "She played phenomenal and with great force."

The game ended with the second shut-out of the season for Eagle goalie Alyssa Poorman and a final score of 4-0 for the women's field hockey team.

Jennings said he was proud of his team.

"I think the team did a great job over the course of the weekend - it was a big step up for us," Jennings said. "I'm positive about where we are going. We are going to continue to grow and take each lesson as they come along to us."

Keep an eye out for the Lady Eagles as they play their first home game against Virginia Commonwealth this Friday.