Track teams finish strong at Maryland Invitational

The American University men's and women's track teams continued on with their winning ways this weekend as the Eagles traveled to Maryland on Saturday to compete in the Maryland Invitational. Not only was AU able to take home seven top ten finishes, but also two wins gained by the men's team.

With a season best time of 3:54.89, senior Awit Yohannes was able to take hold of the win yesterday in the 1500m. This would be Yohannes' second consecutive win for the 1500m at the Terrapin Invitational, last year being his first.

Junior Steve Hallinan returned after suffering an ankle injury at the Patriot League Indoor Championship to gain hold of a third place title. Additionally, Doug Swiatocha, a freshman, finished with a personal best of 4:08.90, and Brandon Laks finished with a time of 4:09.00.

The second win of the day came from sophomore Carlos Jamieson in the 800m race. Jamieson finished with a time of 1:53.35, for first, while seniors Brendan Fennell (who was named Patriot League Runner of the Week last week) and Conor Lanz finished consecutively in the third and fourth spots with times of 1:53.77 and 1:54.06. Jamieson's time not only granted him first, but was also the ninth fastest time in AU history for the 800m.

Also competing for the men was senior Dustin Emrani, who grabbed fifth place in the men's 400m.

Continuing with a solid outdoor season, the woman's track team was able to gain hold of record breaking numbers as well. In the 800m, freshman Mercedes Ball finished with a time of 2:19.92, her personal best and the fifth fastest time in AU history. Danielle Loughrey, also a freshman, finished in 27th with a time of 2:25.16.

In the 1500m, junior Cathleen Ford ran a time of 4:46.92 for sixth place. This time was only one second off of her personal best set last week. Sophomore Meghan Mason, continuing the team's personal best pattern, ran a 4:55.24 for 19th place.

Also in the 1500m was freshman Greta Wicklund, who placed 17th. Wicklund, who has been seeing steady improvement in her first year with the team, was named Patriot League Rookie of the Week last week for her performance so far this season.

In the field, senior Christina Wright threw discus 31.20m, only a few feet shy of her personal best that she recorded last week.

The Eagles will be splitting up this, week as the top finishing men will head to the Texas Relays from Wednesday through Saturday, while the rest of the team will test their strengths at either the Duke or Princeton Invitational.