Metro calendar

Monday, April 30

Charlie Rangel Book Discussion 7:30 p.m. Barnes & Noble Booksellers (Georgetown) - 3040 M St., N.W. Metro: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., will discuss his autobiography, "And I Haven't Had a Bad Day Since: From the Streets of Harlem to the Halls of Congress." For more information, call (202) 965-9880.

Tuesday, May 1

Japanese Cinema and the Changing Family 7 p.m. Meyer Auditorium, Freer Gallery of Art - 1050 Independence Ave., S.W. Metro: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) Film scholar and Freer-Sackler Galleries film programmer, Tom Vick, will discuss how Japanese cinema reflected the nation's changing culture throughout the 20th century. Using film clips and lecture, Vick will trace the changes Japanese cinema experienced from the 1930s to today. For more information and to purchase tickets in advance, visit http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumber=82613.

Friday, May 4

Cathedral Flower Mart Through Saturday, May 5 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday Washington National Cathedral - Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues N.W. Metro: Cleveland Park (red line) Celebrate spring's arrival with this annual flower market at the National Cathedral. This year's theme is "A Salute to Canada," and will feature venders selling a variety of plants, flowers and herbs, in addition to food and boutique venders. There will also be an authentic carousel from the 1890s and a Cathedral tower climb, which will be held both days. For more information, visit http://www.cathedral.org/ahg/flowermart.shtml.

Saturday, May 5

Cinco de Mayo Festival Noon-6 p.m. Sylvan Theater on the National Mall - 15th St. and Independence Avenue S.W. Metro: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) Enjoy a day of live Latin music, food, crafts and performances in celebration of Cinco de Mayo. The festival will be held near the Sylvan Theater on the National Mall. The festival is free and open to the public. For more information, call (202) 258-5283.