Metro calendar

Thursday, April 5

Men's Health Fair 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Bender Arena Lobby Community organizations and AU departments will provide health screenings and resource information. Free, confidential HIV testing for faculty, staff and students will be available until 2:30 p.m. and free food and giveaway items will be provided throughout the day. For more information, contact Kathy Haldeman at (202) 885-3276 or haldeman@american.edu

Premiere of "They Don't Play Golf Here" 5:30 p.m. Ward 1 This is the East Coast premier of the third film in a trilogy on Mexico and globalization by Saul Landau, acclaimed filmmaker. Landau will discuss the film and answer questions. For more information, contact Philip Brenner at (202) 885-1605 or pbrenne@american.edu

Friday, April 6.

KPU Presents: "He Said, She Screeched" 7:30pm Wechsler Theatre The debate will feature "Ann Coulter," played by D.C.-area comedian Bill Pietrucha, against "John Edwards," played by Los Angeles comedian Frank King. For more information, contact Taylor Robinson at kpu@ausg.org

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" 8 p.m. Through April 8 Tavern Presented by the Rude Mechanicals, this absurdist comedy stars two side characters from Shakespeare's Hamlet who are confused about their purpose, their fates and even their own names. Tickets are $3 with an AU ID and $5 without a student ID. For more information, contact Kate Molski at katiemojo@gmail.com

Monday, April 9

The New U.N. Disability Rights Convention 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Washington College of Law The disability, human rights and international development communities will come together to examine the convention, its guarantees and its implications for U.S. law and foreign policy. For more information, contact Amelia Parker at (202) 274-4180.

"U.S. Policy in the Middle East from Kissinger to Condi" 8-9 p.m. School of International Service Lounge Les Janka, a senior staff member of the National Security Council and special assistant to Henry Kissinger under Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, will lecture. Sponsored by the AU Foreign Policy Association. For more information, contact americanforeignpolicy@gmail.com.

Tuesday, April 10

College of Arts and Sciences Alumni/Student Networking Reception 7-8:30 p.m. Mary Graydon Center, rooms 5-6 Students, alumni, faculty and employers are invited to this networking event. For more information, contact the Career Center at (202) 885-1804.

Campus Beautification Day 8 a.m.-2 p.m. On the quad in front of the Mary Graydon Center Join more than 700 fellow faculty, staff and students in this annual event geared to beautify our campus. Activities include installing plants, placing mulch and general cleanup of the campus grounds. For the complete schedule of events visit www.american.edu/campus/beautification/home.htm. The rain date is April 11. For more information, contact Katherine Kirlin at (202) 885-2431

Wednesday, April 11

"Designing Better Electoral Systems for Emerging Democracies" Noon-1:30 p.m. McKinley, room 204B Joel Barkan, who recently retired from the University of Iowa, will lecture. The event is sponsored by the AU Africa Council. For more information, contact Susan Shepler at shepler@american.edu.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan 8 p.m. Bender Arena Tickets are on sale at Student Activities (MGC 271). With valid AU ID, tickets are $5 for AU undergraduates and $10 for faculty, staff, and graduate and law students; there is a limit of two tickets per AU ID. Presented by the Student Union Board. For more information, contact (202) 885-3390 or sub@ausg.org