Metro calendar

Monday, April 2

Washington Nationals' Opening Day 1:05 p.m. RFK Stadium, 2400 East Capitol St. S.E. Metro: Stadium-Armory (blue and orange lines) Cheer on D.C.'s baseball team at its season opener against the Florida Marlins. All fans will receive a red "W" insignia baseball hat as well. For more information on tickets, visit washington.nationals.mlb.com or call (888) 632-6287.

Shakespeare's Birthday Festival Performances at 6 and 7:30 p.m. The National Theatre, 1321 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. Metro: Metro Center (red, blue and orange lines) Celebrate William Shakespeare's birthday with performances led by actor Gary Schwartz. From the lordly sublime to the lowly raucous, Schwartz and his festival entertainers toast the world's great dramatist. The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are required and distributed for free 30 minutes prior to the showtimes on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit www.nationaltheatre.org, or call (202) 628-6161.

Saturday, April 7

National Cherry Blossom Festival Prelude and Fireworks Show Prelude Show: 5-8:30 p.m. at 600 Water St. S.W. Fireworks Show: 8:30-8:50 p.m. at 7th Street and Maine Avenue S.W. Metro: Waterfront-SEU (green and yellow lines) There will be musical entertainment, food from Southwest area restaurants and other prefireworks festivities from 5 to 8:30 p.m. along the Southwest Waterfront. At 8:30 p.m. the annual National Cherry Blossom Festival fireworks show will begin, with best viewing locations along the Southwest Waterfront promenade. For more information visit www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org.

Sunday, April 8

Lantern Lighting Ceremony 2:30-4 p.m. Tidal Basin Metro: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) This formal ceremony features the lighting of the 354-year-old stone lantern at the Tidal Basin and remarks by the Japanese Ambassador and D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty. There will also be performances by the Toho Koto Society of Washington and the Cardinal Choir, as well as the presentation of the 70 Cherry Blossom princesses. For more information, visit www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org.

Now through April 8

"Women's Work" Noon-6 p.m. Wednesdays and Sundays Noon-8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays Nevin Kelly Gallery, 1517 U St. N.W. Metro: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green line) Five young female artists and their diverse perspectives are on display in "Women's Work" at the Nevin Kelly Gallery. The works of five local painters, all younger than 30, are featured in this exhibition, including the watercolor paintings of Jenny Davis, a award-winning 17-year-old artist. The exhibition is free and open to the public. For more information, visit nevinkellygallery.com, or call (202) 232-3464.