Lacrosse drops Patriot League championship game to Holy Cross

In a scene that has become all too familiar for AU fans during the 2006-2007 sports season, the Eagles lost to Holy Cross in yet another Patriot League tournament game. This time, it was the AU lacrosse team that was defeated by the Crusaders in the PL title game 12-8, preventing the team from reaching the NCAA tournament.

The Eagles jumped out to the opening lead, scoring on a Lauren Aksionoff goal at the 26:37 mark to go ahead 1-0.

The lead would be short-lived, as Patricia Sutton put the Crusaders on the board a minute later to tie the game up at one.

After trading goals back and forth over the next 15 minutes, AU took back the lead on a goal by Caithlin Gorman for a 3-2 advance at the 11:53 mark.

This would be the last lead the Eagles would have for the rest of the match, as Holy Cross scored the next three goals over the final ten minutes of the half to take a 5-3 advantage heading into halftime.

Entering the second period of play, AU's Caitlin Bell began the Eagles' comeback, scoring only 40 seconds into the period to cut the Crusaders lead to one, 5-4.

Back-to-back tallies by Jackie Lane and Kira Sonberg tied the game up once again at six. Following another goal by Sutton, one of her game-high five on the day, Gina Ibello scored her second goal of the match to tie the game up at seven.

However, this would be as close as the Eagles would get for the rest of the game, as Holy Cross went on a 5-1 run over the 15 minutes of the game to end AU's comeback, taking the final score of 12-8.

Holy Cross' Sutton was the games leading scorer with five goals, while teammate Nikki Bolduc chipped in three of her own. For the Eagles, Ibello led the team by scoring twice while six others contributed one goal each.

The loss ends the Eagles season with a final overall record of 9-9, the team's highest win total since the 2003 season. It also allowed Head Coach Katie Woods to tie Maureen Dupcak for the highest win total for a rookie head coach in AU history.