Fulton selected KPU director

The use of publicity that will reach students will be one of the goals for the Kennedy Political Union this upcoming academic year, according to Amanda Fulton, the KPU director for the 2007-2008 academic year and a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs.

Fulton said she wants to "adapt things more to what students actually use" by using Facebook and other non-traditional advertising means, including spots on ATV and chalking.

Fulton's focus on publicity comes from her experience as publicity director this year. She said she decided to participate in KPU her freshman year at orientation and was able to assume a leadership position when some volunteers went abroad.

As with all Student Government cabinet-level positions, Fulton had to fill out an application that included three questions about her qualifications for the position, her knowledge base of the position and what changes she would make. She is currently awaiting Senate confirmationbefore officially becoming director.

On April 18, the Senate sent President-elect Joe Vidulich a letter asking him to clarify Fulton's qualifications, citing concerns about the two being in a relationship.

Vidulich and his cabinet replied by explaining the voting procedure, saying he did not vote on Fulton and that she is fully qualified for the position of director. The repsonse letter further stated that as per Student Activity policy, all applications are confidential.

In her application, Fulton went beyond the standard questions and proposed a theme for the upcoming school year - "Leaders of Today become Leaders of Tomorrow." Fulton explained the program would bring back past speakers who are still in government and would also try and find new speakers who are just starting out.

Fulton, while not giving away too much about her theme, said it is a "good way to get a bunch of different people."

Fulton said she has additional goals of wanting to increase attendance at events and getting more diverse speakers. She also wants to continue the Finest Faculty series and try and bring different speakers that represent a "broader base of interest."

She said she wants speakers to be more focused on issues, noting that the recent event about protests at AU was successful because it revolved around a single "focus that people could get into."

Fulton will spend her summer working with outgoing Director Taylor Robinson at AU to transition responsibilities and learn about office procedures. Fulton said she will also start extending invitations to possible speakers, using the various speaker bureaus KPU currently works with.