Campus briefs

AU students win environmental scholarship

Three AU students have been awarded the Morris K. Udall Scholarship, an award that gives undergraduate students interested in studying the environment $5,000, according to American Weekly.

Erin O'Sullivan, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, Claire Roby, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, and Casey Roe, a sophomore in CAS, were named winners, American Weekly reported.

"It shows that we are certainly attracting students and have students who are committed to the environmental fields and who want to pursue careers in the environmental policy area," Joan Echols, program associate at the Office of Merit Awards, told American Weekly. "We have a very active Eco-Sense Club where the students have an opportunity to demonstrate leadership in the environmental area. These students are really committed to the environment."

The Morris K. Udall Foundation was established by Congress to honor Udall's service in the House of Representatives, American Weekly reported. Eighty scholarships are awarded nationally to sophomores and juniors who are interested in careers related to the environment.

White House chef heats up University Club

Walter Scheib, former White House executive chef to former President Bill Clinton and current President George W. Bush, cooked dishes for AU's University Club and signed copies of his new book last Wednesday, according to American Weekly.

Scheib came as part of Bon Appetit's "Staff Chef" program, which brings notable culinary leaders to campus, according to American Weekly.

Scheib brought his new book, "White House Chef, Eleven Years Two Presidents, One Kitchen," which featured recipes he created during the Clinton and Bush administrations, American Weekly reported. Dishes ranged from roasted beet salad to carved buffalo.

An equal number of dishes from both administrations were served, and Scheib discussed the similarities in taste between the two first families.

"Both women were concerned about nutrition, whereas both the guys, I think, would have been just as happy if we had opened up a rib shack in the basement," Scheib told American Weekly. "Their philosophy was, if you can melt cheese on it, do it"