Conference looks at use of Facebook as evidence

Lawyers and college administrators debated whether Facebook should be used as a law enforcement tool at a conference on student policing and privacy hosted by Stetson University Monday, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. AU does not use Facebook as evidence against students, according to Gail Hanson, vice president for Campus Life.

The renewed concern over the sanctity of students' social networking Web sites and cause of the conference comes after a vandalism incident at DePauw University in October. Administrators, relying on a tip they had received, used postings from Facebook to identify and punish several students for defacing school property, the Chronicle reported.

Facebook, a popular social networking Web site originally created just for college students, allows users to create profiles filled with content of their choosing and to connect with friends, family and faculty in and outside of their school. Presently, 90 percent of undergraduates who are eligible have a Facebook profile, the Chronicle reported.

Hanson said DePauw University's actions underlie a concern many AU students have.

"Campus Life just talked about the [intricacies] of electronic communities," Hanson said. "We cautioned students ... to use Facebook wisely. But we don't monitor Facebook profiles, look at pictures or what students have written."

Hanson also said under no circumstances is Facebook or related Internet evidence used to generate cases against students. While AU may consider content posted on social networking Web sites after Public Safety files a complaint, administrators do so very cautiously because Internet evidence is neither strong enough nor verifiable enough to be absolute, she said.

However, Hanson would not directly comment on whether DePauw's actions were appropriate.

"What DePauw did was right for DePauw," Hanson said. "Our approach may be very different."

Tessa Raden, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she was skeptical of all schools' examinations of Facebook profiles to police students.

"My high school sometimes monitored its students' Internet profiles," Raden said. "It bothered me quite a bit. ... It invaded students' privacy. I do admire AU's policy to use [social networking Web sites] judiciously and sparingly, but they should be very careful."

Rachael Monnin, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she believed public image and reputation, perhaps more so than public safety, fueled schools' attention to Facebook.

"I think the main thing colleges are worried about is publicity and presentation," Monnin said. "Facebook is a social network and [students post] crazy things on it. Schools are worried they could be associated with those [activities] and develop a reputation for allowing that type of behavior."

In light of students' privacy concerns, Hanson said students should use Facebook with caution.

"Be smart about what you put on an easily accessible electronic medium," Hanson said. "Future employers, among others, could use a profile against [you]. We don't want students to harm themselves. Power is in students' hands"