Campus briefs

SOC professors awarded grant to study copyright

School of Communication professors Patricia Aufderheide and Peter Jaszi have been awarded a $600,000 grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to study how educators can teach students to analyze the media without violating copyright laws by showing images and clips, according to an AU press release.

Aufderheide and Jaszi will conduct their research with professor Renee Hobbs, who directs Temple University's Media Education Lab in its School of Communications and Theater, according to the press release.

The grant will be used over the next three years to create a code of best practices concerning copyrighted material for media education, the press release said.

Aufderheide and Jaszi previously worked with documentary filmmakers to develop a code of best practices for their fair use of copyrighted materials.

"We frankly were surprised by how quickly the industry adopted this code of practices and put it to work," Aufderheide said in the press release. "People have saved millions of dollars and made work that they would not have even dared to attempt before."

-KYRA SMERKANICH

Fraternity sport tournament to raise money for charity

Delta Tau Delta fraternity will be hosting its third annual dodgeball tournament to raise money for the Adam Friedman Fund for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, according to a fraternity press release.

This year, Delta Tau Delta will be co-sponsoring the fundraiser with the Student Athletic Advisory Council.

"Through this partnership Delta Tau Delta hopes to raise participation and awareness for the event," Patrick Maziarz, the Delt Dodgeball chairman, said.

Last year, more than 150 people participated, raising over $2,000. All proceeds go to the Adam Friedman Fund, which was set up in the memory of a Delta Tau Delta alumnus who died from testicular cancer at age 25 in 1999.