Seductress Nikki, played by Kerry Washington, ignites an old flame in investment banker Richard Cooper, played by Chris Rock, in this comedy.

Bland comedy fails to 'Rock' audiences with laughter

It may not be a tale as old as time, but films about married men and the temptation of extramarital activities make up one of the most broken-in genres of Hollywood. "I Think I Love My Wife" was recently added to that list.

Chris Rock directs the film and also stars as investment banker Richard Cooper in his happy (albeit boring) marriage. He has a beautiful suburban home where he lives with his wife and two young children. The only problem with the happy and loving arrangement is the total lack of intimacy between Richard and his wife Brenda, played by Gina Torres.

An end to the boredom is presented in the arrival of Nikki, played by Kerry Washington. Nikki is a sultry figure from Richard's bachelorhood past who suddenly pops back into his now-boring life. Nikki takes Richard across New York City, where the movie takes place, and shows him some of the good times he's been missing since tying the knot.

This instigates the drama as Richard starts to long for the freedom he signed away when he said "I do." Before he knows it, Richard finds himself lying to his friends, coworkers and wife as Nikki draws him deeper and deeper into her web. A confrontation of desire versus loyalty ensues and audiences watch as Rock explores the choices everyone faces in relationships.

The film does a decent job when it comes to humor while remaining understandable to anyone who has been in a relationship. But while the movie may provoke a few chuckles, the humor comes off as forced at times, and more often isn't very funny in the first place. There are clever and enjoyable moments but overall, the film comes across as a serious romance story that fails to lighten the mood with sparse moments of comic relief.

Too much narration by Richard ends up leaving audiences wanting more of the movie and less interjection. One has to wonder exactly how much confidence Rock has in the film to include so much narration, when most films depend on action - not omniscient explication - to drive the plot.

The narration accompanies scenes that devolve far too much into something not so much funny as utterly unintelligent. The film has its moments of hilarity but overall it barely escapes its own bland humor. That paired with an interesting but overdone theme adds to a not overtly bad experience, just not one that audiences should go to for either a truly meaningful exploration or a truly uproarious laugh. Through the power of temptation doing battle with the power of love, the film manages to bring a smirk to the lips - but not much euphoria to the mind.