Woes continue as men's basketball drops another close one

Andre Ingram led all scorers with 23 points, but was unable to connect on a game-tying three-pointer as Bucknell defeated AU, 69-66, on Tuesday night at Bender Arena.

The game featured 19 lead changes, including four in the last 1:36. With AU down by two, Arvydas Eitutavicius was fouled while attempting a three-pointer and hit all three foul shots to put AU up 64-63. The teams traded foul shots on their ensuing possessions before John Griffin drew a foul on Paulius Joneliunas and hit both free throws to put Bucknell up one with 32 seconds left.

AU had a chance to take the lead on the next possession when Derrick Mercer had a clear look at the basket, but his shot rimmed out with six seconds remaining. Stephen Tyree grabbed the rebound and managed to get the ball into the hands of Griffin, Bucknell's best free throw shooter.

"I think it was a lapse. He had the ball for a couple of seconds," Ingram said on not fouling Tyree right away. "I remember we played them there and he [Griffin] was 10-10 from the line."

Griffin drained both to put the Bison up three and Ingram missed a desperation three at the buzzer.

"I thought it was a great college game if you like basketball, it seemed like at points there was nobody missing," said Bucknell coach Pat Flannery.

With the loss, AU (11-13, 3-7 PL) falls to sixth in the conference, while Bucknell (15-8, 9-1 PL) kept pace with Holy Cross heading into their showdown on Friday night in Lewisburg. Despite their record, the Eagles are just a half game back of fourth place Army, who they will host on Valentine's Day.

"We've been in these types of games before and keep coming up with the same result," Ingram said. "I still believe in this team and always will."

Both teams started out hot, with AU jumping out to a 5-0 lead and the Bison hitting four of their first five three pointers. The teams traded the lead several times during the half, and a Garrison Carr buzzer-beater gave the Eagles a 37-36 halftime lead.

"The way they came out and shot the basketball, if we hadn't matched them early, it could have been lights out," said Flannery.

Ingram led the Eagles with 16 points in the first half, matching his career high against Bucknell. In the second half, Flannery switched up his defense and put point guard Abe Badmus on Ingram in an effort to slow him down.

"The one guy that we had to try to stop from beating us was Ingram," Flannery said.

Griffin led the Bison with 15 points, while center Chris McNaughton chipped in 14. Guard Linas Lekavicius dished out eight assists and had three steals for the Eagles.

Despite the loss, the Eagles seemed to fix many of the problems that cost them close games against Holy Cross and Lehigh. They committed just 12 turnovers, cutting down on the unforced errors that have plagued them for much of the season. The Eagles also managed 11 offensive rebounds, often out hustling the Bison on the glass.

"It was refreshing that we gave ourselves a chance to win and we didn't turn it over," Ingram said. "I think it was just extra emphasis in practice and the past few games on limiting our turnovers but not playing afraid."

Hoops Notes: Joneliunas returned to the starting line-up and scored six points in 27 minutes.Both teams shot almost 70 percent from the field in the first half.The Eagles grabbed just seven defensive rebounds.