Metro brief: GW tuition, other fees to top $50K next year

New students entering George Washington University next fall will pay more than $50,000 in tuition, housing and other expenses, according to The Washington Post and NBC4.com.

The university's board of trustees voted Friday to raise tuition costs to $39,210, an increase of 3.8 percent. Additional fees, including room and board, will bring the average student's total bill to $50,660. University officials said GW will be the first major institution in the U.S. to have total costs per student top $50,000, according to NBC4.com.

GW students pay a fixed tuition rate during their first five years at the school, so the tuition increase will not affect students already attending the school. Sixty-two percent of GW students receive financial aid, and those students receive an average of $19,888, according to NBC4.com.

Theresa Lamontagne, a junior at GW, said she felt the tuition increase was "ridiculous," according to The Post.

"Like everybody else, I feel they're probably charging too much," she said. "The fact that it's going up is ridiculous"