Exposed Radcliffe heightens final 'Potter' anticipation

It's the end of an era, and alas, we're not talking of the George W. Bush variety. On Thursday, author J.K. Rowling announced that the seventh and last installment of her wildly popular "Harry Potter" fantasy series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows," will be released July 21. But Daniel Radcliffe, the 17-year-old star of the last four "Harry Potter" film adaptations, has stirred the most talk this week as promotional photos for his new play show the actor in the buff.

Celebrity gossip rags have spent much of the Harry Potter-fueled week discussing the racy photos, despite news about the final installment's July release. Radcliffe's fifth "Harry Potter" film, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," will be released in July as well, eight days before the debut of the new book.

Radcliffe's new role in the Tony-award winning "Equus" puts the star in almost entirely nude promotional shots with a white horse, as well as a female co-star. The play, about a stable hand with an erotic fixation with horses, is set to open on London's West End Feb. 27.

It has been a magical journey for Harry Potter fans. Since the first book, "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone," was first published nine years ago, Rowling has seen her series sell 325 million copies in 64 languages, according to the Associated Press. The phenomenon has not lost steam since the beginning and now, as the final installment in the series comes to an end, some fans are feeling bittersweet.

"It's really sad almost. You know it's the last one," said Anna Frueh, a senior in the School of International Service and School of Communication.

Some AU "Harry Potter" loyalists have been known to line up for every book release, hoping to get their hands the newest volume.

"I'm going to be in Australia this summer, so I am debating whether I should go. I really want to read the book the day after [the release]," said Shannon Schenck, a junior in SOC. "It's been a tradition since I was 13."

Every year, Schenck has been one of the first to get a copy of the new book and devotes an entire day to reading it. Schenck won a contest at a release party for the last book and was named one of D.C.'s biggest "Harry Potter" fans.

Other fans, some still not focused on the book, had something to say about Radcliffe's naked endeavor.

"It's gonna be like seeing Matthew Broderick in anything that's not 'Ferris Bueller,'" said Anna Nix, a sophomore in SOC. "He'll always be Harry Potter."

It has been a jarring week for "Harry Potter," as some fans that grew up on the series are facing the end of the road.

"'Harry Potter' is part of the cultural experience of [your generation] growing up," said Amy Eisman, a professor in SOC.

The Eagle asked more students to tell us their reactions to this week's Harry Potter news.

"I've heard from reliable sources that a naked Harry Potter is a hairy son-of-a-bitch." -Rob Natale, a freshman in SPA

"I've been a fan since the first book!" -Shawnice Williams, a freshman in SPA

"I've read the first three. I just really want to see him bare-chested, though." -Jordan Warner, a freshman in CAS

"Maybe that's why he's a Harry Potter." -Tacie Bundy, Bon Appetit Staff

"I'm glad it wasn't complete nudity. It's a way for him to separate from being 'Harry Potter' his whole life. I think he even said he's tired of being perceived as 'Harry Potter.'" -Anna Frueh, a senior in SIS and SOC

"I want to see what's going to happen when there's no Dumbledore in the new book." -Anna Nix, a sophomore in SOC

"There's a new 'Harry Potter' coming out?" -Riley Bartlett, a sophomore in SIS "I never really read books. I'm not really excited about the book, but the movie should be tight." -David McNamara, a sophomore in SOC

"I thought it was kind of ludicrous that people were making a big deal about [Radcliffe's nudity]." -Ashley Nadeau, a junior in CAS

"Girls after [Daniel Radcliffe's] 17-year-old body - that bothers me more." -Shannon Schenck, a junior in SOC

In case you're just now getting around to catching up on your Harry Potter even though it's almost over, here's a quick crash course in what the past six books have had to offer. Warning: If you think you'll get even the slightest bit annoyed by having the suspense lifted, don't read.

Book One: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Orphan Harry Potter receives an invitation to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when he discovers he's a wizard ordained with a special aptitude for magic. After escaping the home of his heinous aunt and uncle to attend Hogwarts, Potter realizes he's famous in the magical world for having survived the wrath of Lord Voldemort, an evil wizard who murdered both his parents. With the help of loyal friends Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Hogwarts Deputy Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Potter adjusts to life as a wizard as he learns more about the role of a mysterious sorcerer's stone and its connection to Voldemort.

Book Two: "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

Before Potter leaves for his second year at Hogwarts, a creature named Dobby tells him not to go back, or bad things will happen at the school. Potter ignores the foreboding encounter with Dobby and travels back to Hogwarts. Dobby's warning becomes true when several students at the school are hexed and turned to stone. It is up to Potter to find out the cause of the incidents and understand more about the dangers that loom.

Book Three: "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"

Potter is once again unsafe in his third year at Hogwarts. Sirius Black, a prisoner at Azkaban who was detained for his severe killings and his relation to Voldemort, escapes confinement. He is reported to be on the hunt for Potter. Potter must learn who to trust at Hogwarts and protect himself as he learns more about Black, Voldemort and his past.

Book Four: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

When Potter returns for his fourth year, Hogwarts announces a competition with other schools of magic in which one student from each school is selected to participate in events that test their magic ability. Even though he is too young to participate, Potter's name is somehow selected out of the Goblet of Fire, the sole determiner of who will represent each school of magic in the competition. Ultimately, Potter is met with something he never expected.

Book Five: "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

Nightmares terrify Potter since his experiences during his fourth year. With another busy year ahead of him at Hogwarts, he is swept up in a time of crisis and begins to learn more about the government of the magic world. Many surprises regarding his past, present and future await Potter during his fifth year.

Book Six: "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

War with Voldemort is rampant. During the school year, Potter receives a textbook. A mysterious Half-Blood Prince, whose notes in the textbook help Potter excel in performing certain spells of importance, enters Potter's life. He seeks the identity of this Half-Blood Prince and faces a plethora of inevitable events as he gathers more insight into his and others' destinies.