Indoor track runs at Maryland Invite

Continuing their season-long success, the American University indoor track teams competed at the University of Maryland Invitational on Saturday, winning two events and placing in the top 10 in several others.

The Eagles had a strong showing in the men's mile, taking four top-10 finishes. Steve Hallinan came in first, narrowly edging out Georgetown's Fleet Hower with a winning time of 4:07.73.

Hallinan's time, a personal best, is the second-fastest in AU history. Last week, the junior was named Patriot League runner of the week for the second time this season.

Also in the men's mile, juniors Brendan Fennell and Awit Yohannes took third and fourth, respectively, while senior Conor Lanz rounded out the top 10 with a time of 4:21.11.

In the men's 800, junior Brian McCabe scored the Eagles' other first-place finish with a time of 1:54.32. Senior Alex Cuadana came in just behind at 1:54.61, good enough for second. Senior Dustin Emrani placed eighth with a time of 1:57.78.

The women found success in the 800 as well, as senior Ashley Dellinger registered a top-20 finish with an indoor personal best of 2:26.90.

Other top finishes for the women's team included junior Cathleen Ford's eighth-place finish in the 3,000 with a time of 10:35.18. Freshmen Greta Wicklund and Janis Irish also helped the Eagles, with Wicklund taking 11th in the women's mile and Irish running the 400 in 63.44, the third-fastest time in AU history.

The Eagles next compete this weekend at the Patriot Games, which will be held Saturday at George Mason.