Staff editorial: New shuttle program:

In an effort to improve shuttle efficiency, transportation services began a continuous shuttle loop just before Thanksgiving. The program is technically scheduled to run through Dec. 18; those involved in the program say that the continuous loop program has largely been abandoned at this point.

The program was intended to reduce pollution so that buses wouldn't sit around idling, and to reduce overcrowding during peak hours.

All in all, the program didn't work so well. The amount of time it takes to complete one shuttle loop can double during rush hour, and there was confusion among drivers about who should take the next shift and who should go on break.

Also, with no semblance of a schedule, students and professors could not adequately plan the rest of their commuting schedule. With the old schedule, they could safely assume when the shuttle would arrive (at least within some five-minute time frame) and then plan when to catch the Metro to arrive at internships, work or other commitments on time. This is particularly important during holiday breaks when students need to arrive at airports or train stations on time.

Overall, the new program was a good try. It's nice to see the SG working for students and the university administration actively pursuing student complaints.

There are obviously many solutions to the problems with the shuttle, including even more shuttles during rush hour or having drivers go straight to North side to avoid overcrowding, or perhaps using the continuous loop system only during certain hours of the day.

As the SG and university administration wait for student feedback about the program, they should also consider talking to those most directly involved in the program: the shuttle drivers, who also should have a say over how their time is managed.