Women's basketball drops home opener

The AU women's basketball team fell in its home opener to Longwood University 66-59 on Sunday, losing the lead with just under four minutes to go in the game to even their season record at 1-1.

The Eagles took the lead out of the gate, building up a 36-25 lead throughout the first half and keeping it into halftime.

In the opening period of play, AU used its strength from its three-point shooting and from the free-throw line to its advantage. The Eagles shot 53.8 percent from behind the arc as well as 71.4 percent in foul shots to build up their lead.

However, as dominant as the Eagles were in the first half, Longwood were equally as dominant in the second period of play.

Longwood was able to outscore the Eagles 41-23 in the second half on 40 percent free-throw shooting and seven of 10 three-pointers to take over the lead from the Eagles at the 3:57 mark and hold on to win the game.

The Eagles shooting collapsed in the second half, as they were only able to connect on one of nine from three-point range and two of nine from the free-

throw line.

Longwood's Ashleigh Hollman led all scorers with 11 points, while AU's Liz Hayes and Maggie Smith-Davidson led the Eagles with five points apiece.

Contrary to Sunday, the Eagles were able to control their season opener from the opening tip to the closing whistle, winning on the road over Fordham 78-53 on Friday night.

To start the game, the two teams played a very close first half, with the Eagles taking a slim 33-30 lead heading into halftime.

However, AU came out flying to start the second period of play, going on a 15-0 run to start the half to extend their lead to 18 points. AU was able to eventually go up by as much as 28 points in the second half before holding on for the final 25-point margin of victory.

On the defensive end, the Eagles were able to force 23 turnovers to lead to 25 fast-break points, a facet head coach Melissa McFerrin was very pleased with.

"We played with a huge amount of defensive intensity and I am extremely happy with the execution of our full-court defense," McFerrin said. "Depth was a major factor in the win; fatigue set in for the other team and we were still going strong."

The Eagles next return to the court on Friday at the University of Delaware before returning home next Sunday to face Towson.