Time sheet case settled

The Judicial Board submitted the findings of its investigation into the summer time sheet controversy to the Undergraduate Senate and Student Government executives yesterday, citing no SG executives or cabinet members will be punished but the SG bylaws may be changed to prevent future controversies.

The board found it is a common practice for hours worked to be recorded although the SG bylaws do not specifically require the use of time sheets.

The Judicial Board launched its investigation at the beginning of October after a letter written by Speaker of the Senate Ben Murray and Senator At-Large Charlie Biscotto requested summer time sheets from the executives and Executive Cabinet.

During Judicial Board hearings, testimony by SG members lead the board to believe the time sheets submitted to the Senate were backdated, including those of President Ashley Mushnick.

"The board believes that this issue could have been resolved by frank dialogue and discussion," the final report stated.

The Judicial Board, with unanimous consent, had no recommendations for punitive actions to be taken against the executives and the Executive Cabinet.

Although the report concluded the Judicial Board investigation, the Senate, at its discretion, still has the option to take further action on the matter.

The report concluded with recommendations for bylaw changes, including separate financial bylaws, which would outline a more unified time sheet system.

In other SG news, the Undergraduate Senate voted at their meeting last week to reorganize a new committee structure, decreasing the number of committees from four to three.

Under the new committee structure, the committee chair and vice chair would create their agenda for the term. At a special session Wednesday night, the Senate elected committee chairs and vice chairs.

At-Large Senator Charlie Biscotto will chair the Committee on University Relations, focusing on topics such as the budget. College of Arts and Sciences Senator Peter Wahlberg will vice-chair the committee.

Class of 2009 Senator Josh Cahan will chair the Committee on Academics, focusing on current academic concerns like the bookstore, Blackboard and Turnitin.com. Rosie Scott, School of International Service Senator, will vice-chair the committee.

School of Communication Senator Brian Kalish, who is also an assistant campus news editor at The Eagle, will chair the Committee on Campus Life, focusing on dining services and meal plans. Class of 2009 Senator Charlie Kilby will vice-chair the committee.

Class of 2009 Senator Erin Lauer, who returned for her second term, resigned last week to pursue other opportunities.