SG plans non-stop shuttle pilot program

To remedy problems presented to both the Student Government and the administration, AU shuttle buses will run on a trial system of non-stop service starting Nov. 21 as part of the Transportation Service Pilot Program, according to Seth Cutter, Senator of the Class of 2010 and sponsor of the Undergraduate Senate legislation which created the program.

According to SG President Ashley Mushnick, the current shuttle system is not meeting the demands of the AU community, which is manifested in the excessive overcrowding during peak times, inability to transport in a timely manner and the inefficiency of the idling shuttles at the South Side shuttle stop from both a monetary and environmental standpoint. There have also been complaints from neighborhood residents about the noise of the idling shuttles during the night.

The new program, which will run until winter break, will run the shuttles in a continuous loop on both weekdays and weekends and will also provide a more customized system to accommodate the demands during the day.

"You can put in a bus or remove a bus depending on the demand," Mushnick said.

The new trial will be a challenge for Transportation Services to meet the students' demands and complications will arise, Mushnick said, but the data collected throughout the trial period will be used to observe and analyze the potential obstacles in order to better the new system.

"It seems like a good idea, but sometimes there aren't enough people to fill the bus, so it's almost a waste anyway," said Leah Chavla, a freshman in the School of International Service.

According to Mushnick, D.C. law requires buses to run at all times, regardless of their idling status.

Gillian Avery, a freshman in SIS, said she thinks the pilot program is a better use of gas, but says other issues need to be addressed.

"I guess it's more resourceful to use the gas that would be wasted by standing in place for ten minutes, which is also good for the environment, but I think it makes more sense to have a bus that departs from the North side of campus because in really busy hours, the bus that leaves from the south side is going to be crowded regardless," Avery said.

Talks to change the program began in response to numerous complaints and official meetings started with Tony Newman, director of Transportation Services, at the beginning of the school year, according to Mushnick.

"Tony Newman and Transportation Services have reached out to the student body to identify the problems," she said.

Legislation to start the program passed with unanimous votes, supported by students, the Undergraduate Senate, Public Safety and the SG, Cutter said.

"It's time for a change," Cutter said. "It's first a need, then a convenience. From a new student perspective ... it seemed like a big issue"