Minimal props, maximum morals

The Keegan Theatre's production of "Agnes of God" challenges its audience. That is the very reason why director Susan Marie Rhea chose to put on the show.

"It is a topic that fascinates me," she said. That topic would be, as Rhea puts it, "miracle versus logic." The plot follows the story of Agnes (Ghillian Porter), a seemingly innocent, childlike nun who is put on trial for murder when a dead baby is found in a wastebasket in her room. Miriam Ruth (Linda High), Agnes's Mother Superior, supports her and is sure that Agnes is not responsible for what happened. However, she is refuted by Dr. Livingstone (Sheri S. Herren), the cynical psychiatrist.

The intimate feeling of Keegan Theatre's Church Street location is the perfect venue for the narrative-style play. In a larger theater, Dr. Livingstone's conversations with the audience would not have the same emotional intensity. Her secrets are shared with the audience, and the depth of the performance is so palpable it makes the air seem thick.

The strong emotions of the play are accentuated by the sparseness of the stage. The sole props are an ashtray, a chair and an altar, with tall curtains for entrance and exit points.

In contrast with the minimalism of the set are the rich live vocals of Agnes, who sings ancient liturgies and church hymns. The warm lighting used during her performance casts a glow over the cold suspicion that surrounds the characters.

The absence of lavish scenery compels the audience to look more deeply into the actions and lives of the characters that appear before them. The lack of distractions makes every word and movement of the actresses vital to communicating time, place and feeling.

In place of physical objects, the play is laden with Christian imagery that both create and answer questions of faith. It also evokes the classic "dark night of the soul" scenario for both the characters and the audience.

The set changes, communicated only by blocking, are actually very clear, as is the time period in which each scene takes place. The Mother Superior does an especially outstanding job of changing her demeanor, posture and tone of voice to reflect her character's growth throughout the play.

Porter's acting is particularly chilling, especially as her secrets are revealed and it is possible for the audience to see into the depths that form her character. The most impressive part of her performance, however, is making the audience believe her story against their better judgment.

Dr. Livingstone's character provides the brief, much-needed moments of comic relief with her sarcasm and contempt for the Catholic Church. Her disdain is always believable and her feelings are easy to relate to. The dynamic nature of her character is perhaps the most interesting performance to watch, as she is forced to think about and work through the events of the play in much the same way as the audience.

The questions raised by the play are never quite resolved and that is exactly the way it should be, as any cut-and-dry ending would have been disappointing and trite. It left the audience momentarily speechless as the house lights dimmed.

The Keegan Theatre is located near Dupont Circle and will be showing "Agnes of God" at 8 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and at 2 p.m. on Sundays until Nov. 19th. General admission is $25 and the cost for students and seniors is $20.