Metro calendar

Tuesday, Nov. 14

"Hijacking the Development Debate" 12-1:30 p.m. Institute for Policy Studies, 1112 16th St. N.W.

Robin Broad, a professor in the School of International Service, and John Cavanagh, director of the Institute for Policy Studies, will discuss why the theories of bestselling authors Thomas Friedman ("The World is Flat") and Jeffrey Sachs ("The End of Poverty") are wrong, and will present better ways to address poverty and unequal globalization. The event is hosted by the New Rules for Global Finance Coalition and the Institute for Policy Studies. All are welcome to this open discussion. Bring your own lunch. Cookies and drinks will be provided.

R.S.V.P. to jbaker@new-rules.org.

"NO!" - A documentary by Aishah Shahidah Simmons 7:30 p.m. Howard University, Cramton Auditorium, 2455 6th St. N.W. Metrobus: H4 Metrobus drops off a few blocks north of auditorium. Sponsored by the D.C. Rape Crisis Center.

Simmons and Lori Robinson, the award-winning author of "I Will Survive: The African-American Guide to Healing from Sexual Assault and Abuse," will discuss with audience members their work, the reality of rape and the healing process in the African-American community. The film and discussion are free and open to the public.

For more information about the event, contact Joseph Vess at the D.C. Rape Crisis Center at jvess@dcrcc.org or (202) 232-0789.

Thursday, Nov. 16

"Ceasefire on Health Care" 9:30-11:30 a.m. The Willard Hotel, 1401 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.

Professor James A. Thurber, director of AU's Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies, and former Sen. John Breaux will be speaking at a forum on health care reform, featuring Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2005, and Ed Gillespie, chairman of the Republican National Committee for the 2004 election cycle.

Attendees must R.S.V.P. by today to the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies at ccps@american.edu.

"Domestic Spying: Anti-Terrorism or Anti-American?" 6:30 p.m. International Spy Museum, 800 F St. N.W. Metro: Gallery Place/Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines)

A discussion about domestic spying will be led by moderator Gene Policinski, executive director of the First Amendment Center, and panelists Eric Lichtblau, a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist who broke the domestic spying story; Spike Bowman, formerly of the Senior Executive Service of the FBI; Kate Martin, director of the Center for National Security Studies; and Bob O'Harrow, Washington Post reporter and author of "No Place to Hide." Tickets are $20 for non-members and $16 for members. Advance registration required. Tickets do not include admission to the International Spy Museum.

To register, call Ticketmaster at (202) 397-SEAT, 1-800-551-SEAT or the museum at (202) 393-7798, or order online at ticketmaster.com.

Friday, Nov. 17

"Latin America and the Caribbean" 8:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. George Washington University, Jack Morton Auditorium in the Media and Public Affairs Building, 805 21st St. N.W. Metro: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines)

Thomas S. Shannon Jr., assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemispheric Affairs, will give the keynote address. One panel will discuss immigration and the other will address current developments and U.S. policies in the Americas. A luncheon following the program will feature a speech by Ambassador Roberto Abdenur of Brazil. Tickets are $15 for all students.

For more information, contact Sherry Barndollar Rock at (202) 682-0500 extension 17 or e-mail prog.coord@dacorbacon.org.

Saturday, Nov. 18

Ward 3 Tenant Forum 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Maret School, 3000 Cathedral Ave. N.W. Metro: Woodley Park/Zoo (red line)

The purpose of this forum is to help Ward 3 tenants better know and understand their rights, as well as to assist tenants in seeking relief if their rights have been violated.

To R.S.V.P. or to obtain more information, contact ANC Commissioner Deborah Jane Lindeman at Commissioner3C02@aol.com or (202) 232-0247.