Senior Elizabeth Maloney has won three consecutive Patriot League titles in her AU career.

Maloney hopes to come up aces at PL tournament

When fans filling the bleachers of Bender Arena this fall see somebody sporting a red and white Maple Leaf flag at a school called American University, they can only be thinking of one player. She is none other than Elizabeth Maloney, a four-year veteran of the AU volleyball team and native of America's neighbor to the north.

Maloney, originally from Toronto, Ontario, excelled in volleyball throughout her time in high school. She was able to earn the Ontario Volleyball Association Award of Excellence in 2002, her senior season. When it came time to choosing where to go to college, she said she knew she had to look stateside.

"Unfortunately, they do not give out athletic scholarships in Canada. So I began to focus my attention at schools in the states. [At AU], I found I really liked the school, D.C. and the coach," Maloney said.

After crossing the border, Maloney has been able to keep up the same level of dominance over PL opponents. Last season, Maloney entered the AU single-season record book by finishing second in team history with 85 aces and fifth all-time with .70 aces per game. These statistics helped earn Maloney All-PL first team honors.

In the 2006 regular season, Maloney registered a team-high 98 games played as well as tying teammate Chelsa Brooks for the team lead in kills with 274 while leading the Eagles to a perfect 14-0 record in PL play.

The only senior on the 2006 squad, Maloney has been a part of an AU team that has captured four consecutive PL titles and aims for its fifth straight beginning on Friday. While each championship has been memorable, Maloney says that her favorite moment at AU came during last year's tournament.

"Although I always love going to the NCAA tournament every year, last year's PL tournament really sticks out in my mind. We won the final match in five games after being down huge. It was a great accomplishment for us," said Maloney.

While Maloney has excelled on the court, she has also proved valuable in the classroom. An international business major, she has been named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll in each of her first three seasons, although she admits that she doesn't know what she plans to do with her degree upon graduating in the spring.

As she approaches her final matches in an AU uniform, Maloney says that she will miss her daily practices with teammates the most but looks forward to playing with them one more time in the PL tournament.

"[Our] goal as a team is to win the tournament, play each point well and really dominate our opponents," said Maloney. "Personally, I want to finish out the year strong. I have my last two home games remaining and I don't want it to end with any regrets"