Field hockey falls to No. 1 Wake Forest in NCAA tourney

The AU field hockey team's season came to an end on Saturday with a 5-0 loss to Wake Forest in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Playing on their home field, the top-seeded Demon Deacons took the lead just 10 minutes into the game off of a penalty corner goal by senior Lauren Crandall. However, AU's defense held for the rest of the half, allowing the Eagles to head into the half down just one goal.

However, Wake Forest came out strong in the second half, capitalizing on AU mistakes to stretch their lead. The Deacons scored two goals just three minutes apart on a pair of penalty corners. Five minutes later, Crandall converted on a penalty stroke for her second goal of the game, making it 4-0 less than 15 minutes into the second half.

The Deacons closed out the scoring with less than 13 minutes remaining, converting on yet another penalty corner. They outshot the Eagles 15-0 in the second half and 21-1 overall en route to a victory.

AU goalie Alison Fayfich made nine saves on 13 shots before being pulled after the fourth Wake Forest goal. Freshman Alyssa Poorman came on in relief, making four saves and allowing one goal in less than 20 minutes of action. Wake Forest's Michelle Kasold recorded four assists in the victory.

Field Hockey Tidbits: This marked the first time since 2003 that AU failed to reach the second round of the NCAA Tournament.The game was the final one for Fayfich, PL Tournament MVP Camila Infante, Heidi Hershberger, Kaitlin DeTroia, Tiffany Carter and Erin Rock. The six seniors won four consecutive conference championships, and went undefeated in conference play.Wake Forest won a 3-2 thriller over Virginia on Sunday to advance to the Final Four. Junior Chelsea Cipriani scored the game-winner with just over a minute remaining.